FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggested bitrate for H.264 streams

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Suggested bitrate for H.264 streams
on Nov 2, 2009 at 6:32:33 pm

I'm currently uploading my back catalogue of work to an online portfolio for potential clients e.t.c. to view.

I've been playing around with H.264 to get the best quality vs. file size and I'm looking for some input from the pros!

From my tests, I can take the bitrate as low as 1,000kbps and still got what I'd deem to be an "acceptable" image. What are your thoughts on what would be the ideal kbps to enable streaming on a range of Broadband connections - is 1,000kbps still too high to play smoothly on a variety of connection speeds? It's vital that these clips be readily accessible for as many people as possible with a decent broadband connection. I'm using a frame size of 640x360 - which seems to work well and I need a fairly large image as many of the people viewing these will want to judge their technical quality.

Also, I'm using Compressor and working with mostly 16:9 material. Some shot on DV-PAL and some in HDV1080i. Are there any compression techniques you would recommend to help improve final output - especially with my HDV material (I'm a little unsure about what an ''ideal'' frame size would be when compressing HDV content)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Suggested bitrate for H.264 streams
on Nov 2, 2009 at 7:36:43 pm

[Adam White] "What are your thoughts on what would be the ideal kbps to enable streaming on a range of Broadband connections - is 1,000kbps still too high to play smoothly on a variety of connection speeds"

What exactly do you mean by streaming? Delivered from a true streaming server or by progressive download, as you see on Apple's movie trailer site?

If you want to dictate the quality, progressive download is the only way to go and 1Mb/s is fine.

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

Adam White
Re: Suggested bitrate for H.264 streams
on Nov 2, 2009 at 7:55:32 pm

Sorry - should have made that clearer!

This for progressive download (i.e. Apple trailers as you say) and I'm hosting at screencast.com.

I've just done another test 800kbps seems to give an equally satisfactory result and gives a bit of head room so I may go with that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]