FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting x264 for best color

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Roche
Setting x264 for best color
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:51:12 pm

So I've got a very colorful video that I've made in After Effects and now compressing out of Quicktime out of x264. I have read all the posts I can find here and I still cant figure out how to use x264 to get not washed out dull colors. I don't need the file to be cazy small, just like have the size and richer colors than what I get when I send it out of h264 at automatic data rate/best quality/2pass etc.
Any help would be much appreciated....
thanks
jjr

JJR

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Setting x264 for best color
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:50:06 pm

If you want quality results get a quality encoder like compressor or Episode, you can't rely on Quicktime's exporter to deliver high quality results.

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

James Roche
on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:04:08 pm

Yes, I have compressor, but most people on this forum suggest using h.264 out of compressor, even with a very high bit rate and multi pass vbr and best quality settings I still get dull colors. How would you suggest using compressor to get passable results for a smaller download file with colors that don't look grey and washed out /dull?

JJR

JJR

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:16:24 pm

If the difference in colour saturation is that drastic (and not the simple gamma shift most people refer to) then simply compensate by adding a saturation colour correct as a preprocessor step in compressor.

other players,"

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Oct 24, 2009 at 3:47:29 pm

And....your compressed video will look different on every single media player it's played on. Play it with Quicktime and it will likely look soft and a bit washed out, play it on VLC and it will look completely different, same with KMPlayer or Zoom Player or MPlayer or Flash Player etc....you get the idea.

It's sort of like watching your video on 5 different people's home televisions...it's going to look different on every single one of them. If a video needs to look a certain way, we always output 10 seconds or so from the encoder, then watch it on mutliple video players...then tweak whatever needs tweaking.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 24, 2009 at 4:11:26 pm

Chris is right and to add to his post the other problem is that no two screens are calibrated the same, so even with the same video using the same player, it'll likely look quite different on different PCs.

other players,"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]