FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating i-frames/keyframes in Sorenson Squeeze?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Creating i-frames/keyframes in Sorenson Squeeze?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:16:43 pm

Hello all,

I am working for a company that has switched from predominantly broadcast work to online content. We are a small company and post-production consists basically of me. So it's down to me to figure out the best form of compression for our website.

Now, ours is a flash based site and in order to output flash videos we have purchased Sorenson Squeeze (I tried to make H.264 encoded QT movies work, but apparently we have a bargain basement media player which won't accept anything other than real flash videos). I am currently using the bog-standard 1MB streaming codec.

It's not uncommon for me to speed up footage and use quick cuts and effects when I edit the clips and I always knew this would be a problem when it comes to compression. Back when I was using Compressor I knew that if there was a serious problem I could get stuck in and put some i-frames in to help it along the way. Can anyone tell me how to do this in squeeze? or can you suggest a better way of getting a good image during complicated/fast-cut sequences?

Here is an example of what I am talking about

http://www.theluxurychannel.tv/PeroniDesignAwards.aspx

As you can see, when I have the sped-up city shots it becomes very pixelated. As well as in other areas where I have put re-timing effects in action.

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Creating i-frames/keyframes in Sorenson Squeeze?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:55:51 pm

[Christopher Travis] "I am currently using the bog-standard 1MB streaming codec."

Don't use the streaming preset unless you are delivering from a Flash Streaming server.

[Christopher Travis] "Back when I was using Compressor I knew that if there was a serious problem I could get stuck in and put some i-frames in to help it along the way. Can anyone tell me how to do this in squeeze?"

You can't, you can only alter the frequency of forced keyframes. I generally set this at 5-10x your delivery frame rate. Sorenson will insert others automatically when it think it needs to.

Try using VBR.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today: 30 April 2007

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"

Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]