FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Valuable is Fast Internet to a Film Prod Company?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
How Valuable is Fast Internet to a Film Prod Company?
on Oct 10, 2009 at 1:01:23 am

We're a video production company. Years ago, when we got internet to our office, AT&T DSL was the only provider available. Currently our internet speed is 5 mbps down/.7 mbps up, and we pay $70/mo. I had AT&T out yesterday to see if we can speed things up. He said that’s the fastest they offer this building at this time unless we did a T1 line. He said that would be $400/mo, 10 down/2 up.

I just hung up with Comcast Cable. They now offer service to this building. My neighbor down the hall has Comcast internet and is really happy with it. Comcast said they offer to this building: $60 – 12 down/2 up, or $100 – 22 down/5 up, or $190 – 50 down/10 up.

If we went from what we have now, 5 down/.7 up, to 50 down/10 up, besides having faster access to the internet and downloads, in what areas would it affect our productivity?

1 – would our access to our server be faster (since both the internet and our server are piped to our office computers over the same ethernet cable)?
2 – would our blog uploads be faster? If yes, a lot faster?
3 – are there other areas that our type of business would benefit that I’m not thinking of?

Thanks so much. Any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: How Valuable is Fast Internet to a Film Prod Company?
on Oct 10, 2009 at 3:33:38 pm

[Thomas Hughes] "1 – would our access to our server be faster (since both the internet and our server are piped to our office computers over the same ethernet cable)? "

What kind of server is it, what is it serving you? Well anyway, of course it would be much faster!

[Thomas Hughes] "2 – would our blog uploads be faster? If yes, a lot faster? "

Yes much faster, do the maths..... well over 10 times faster.

[Thomas Hughes] "3 – are there other areas that our type of business would benefit that I’m not thinking of? "

Anything that needed to be uploaded or downloaded or transferred or FTP's or whatever over the internet , would be much faster.

It's a kind of a no brainer isn't it? You can get twice the speed for $10 per month less with Comcast!

Did you even really need to ask the questions?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today: 30 April 2007

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"

Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: How Valuable is Fast Internet to a Film Prod Company?
on Oct 11, 2009 at 3:46:36 pm

I agree with Daniel. But you need to remember that the speeds you're quoted are "best case scenario" type of things. We went from a DSL business line to T1 a couple years ago. We expected to see a huge difference in internet, upload and download speeds. But in reality, the speed and productivity gains were modest at best.

Sure we noticed a difference, but it wasn't anything earth shattering. Our ftp uploads of TV spots to Vyvx, TV stations and cable systems went from taking about 25-30 minutes per spot, to about 14-17 minutes. Downloading a large file of say 100MB, went from taking 15-20 minutes to 6-8 minutes.

Lots of things affect your speeds, from individual computers' configurations, how everything is cabled and switched, the quality of the switching equipment, speed of ethernet cards, and especially the number of PCs accessing the entire setup.

But certainly as Daniel points out, it's a no brainer to switch!

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]