FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I make CableLabs compliant file from FCP Studio 2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cat Mayville
How do I make CableLabs compliant file from FCP Studio 2
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:36:12 pm

Hi all,

I need to deliver about five hours of Video On Demand content to TVN each month. I edit Standard def content on a late 2009 Mac 2x3 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon in FInal Cut, some of content has closed captioning.

TVN says they need a CableLabs compliant MPEG 2 file that is a transport stream file with rate of 3.75 mbps/audio bit rate 192 kbps for 2 channel file/ profile level of Main/Main...

I am an editor that knows compression only to the degree that I can email movies to clients. This is more complicated. Apparently there is a card called "Digital Rapid Card" that is PC based only. It comes with a software setting that seems to indicate it is CableLabs compliant. Is there a Mac card that equals the capabilities of this card? Or, does anyone have a work flow for this? I will buy whatever cards/software I have to. Thanks! Cat

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How do I make CableLabs compliant file from FCP Studio 2
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:48:32 pm

Telestream Episode Pro.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Oct 7, 2009 at 6:24:18 pm

Thanks Craig.

The operative word in this is "TVN". I called Telestream and even they told me their MP2 telestream
movies are getting rejected from TVN. Is anyone out there doing MP2 deliveries to TVN from Final Cut? I'm looking for advice on that workflow. Thanks!

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2009 at 7:01:23 pm

[Cat Mayville] "I called Telestream and even they told me their MP2 telestream
movies are getting rejected from TVN. "

Supposedly fixed very soon.
I'm pretty sure Compressor won't do it either but I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Oct 7, 2009 at 7:20:10 pm

True Craig, they are working on it but have not confirmed success. I am looking at Pixel Tools but am still shooting in the dark. I am sure there are pro's out there who have conquered this task...anyone out there know the answer to this? Something that works on a mac now? Thanks!

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Eric Peterson
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:52:08 pm

Cat

This is just a shot in the dark. I use FCS2 and export mpg for the Leightronic Nexus system. I took my compressor droplet and changed some settings and created one called CableLabs. It may work or give you a starting point.

Eric

314_cablelabsmpeg2.app.zip

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
on Oct 9, 2009 at 1:39:16 am

I've used the Digital Rapids StreamZ encoders first hand. They are a top tier encoding product, especially in the MPEG2, MPEG4 and Flash arenas. There are in fact, CableLabs specific settings for the MPEG2 transport stream. Your best bet might be to contact Digital Rapids sales department, and see if they know of any installations in your area. Visit http://www.digital-rapids.com. You might be able to contact that owner and work out a deal to get your content encoded properly as a favor or for a small fee.

Telestream does need to be updated to give you the ability to get something to TVN without rejection. Hopefully they will get that update out soon.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Oct 9, 2009 at 1:28:34 pm

Yeah-this product is great. But it does not work on a Mac-I need a Mac based solution

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:08:53 pm

Don't hold your breath while searching or waiting for a Mac based hardware encoder. Hardware encoders typically run on the PC platform or they are stand alone devices. I agree with Chris' short term solution of finding a vendor to provide encoding services, build the cost into your budget. For a long term solution you'll need to weigh the cost/benefit ratio of purchasing a hardware encoder for servicing this particular client.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:13:24 pm

Thanks Gary-,

I have two tests in now--I'll let you know how it works. We do have a vendor that currently does this for us--it's very expensive, so we are trying to eliminate that cost.

Thanks for feedback.

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 9, 2009 at 6:18:50 pm

This should be fixed very soon in Telestream Episode. I know people wish it were today but it's going to be soon.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Oct 9, 2009 at 7:50:33 pm

thanks Craig. They sent me their Cable labs settings and the only thing standing in b/w us
and a file that passes the test is a field issue, which I think is easily solved. I'll let you know how
the new cable labs settings work--the Telestream Co has been really helpful

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]