FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP keeps crashing during compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Spencer
FCP keeps crashing during compression
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:58:06 am

I have an 83-minute movie created in FCP, which i have been trying to make into a DVD.

I have been exporting straight into compressor from the timeline.

I have FCP 6.0.6 and compressor 3.0.3. Using a MAC Pro dual 2.66 with 5 gigs RAM.

I am using One pass CBR at a bit rate of 6.0.

I start the compression, it tells me it will take about 11 hours. I leave and come check it every once in a while. Each time, it will go about six or seven hours, then FCP crashes. This has happened three times in a row.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: FCP keeps crashing during compression
on Oct 6, 2009 at 4:34:40 pm

Export the sequence as a Quicktime movie, using 'sequence settings' (make sure every thing is rendered). Quit FCP and then compress the file in compressor.

You are very likely to be hitting the limit of your RAM with both running.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Russ Spencer
on Oct 6, 2009 at 5:05:31 pm

Yes, I know about exporting a quicktime movie and doing it that way. But this is an extremely important project and I've heard that a better result is achieved when Compressor works frame by frame from the timeline.

I've got 5 gigs of RAM, that seems like plenty ... could there be another problem?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 6, 2009 at 5:49:56 pm

[Russ Spencer] "But this is an extremely important project and I've heard that a better result is achieved when Compressor works frame by frame from the timeline"

If you export using the sequence settings you are exporting exactly the same as your source quality. If you have mixed sources in the timeline then going direct to compressor will retain the native source format but if the sources in the time sequence is the same then you'll see no difference.

You may have no other option if you need to deliver this job.

The only other thing it could be is a corrupt frame(s) somewhere in the sequence. It may be worth forcing a re-render.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:48:20 am

If you know that all source files and render files are on the local computer, then do a render and an audio mixdown and export a ref clip from your timeline. Quit FCP. Open compressor and drag the ref clip into the window. Set up your encode.

I think the compressor settings are more important than how compressor gets them, but it is well documented that the export straight to compressor is dicey.

Try it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]