FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed controls in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tomas spencer
Speed controls in Compressor
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:27:13 pm

hi. i'm new to creative cow and think this place is awesome!!

very pleased and excited to have so many creative cows to talk with!

i once read here (but can't find it anymore) that one can get very nice speed adjustments done in Compressor.
I want to slow down some footage (do it all the time in FCP but wanted to try out Compressor) but can't decipher Compressor.

can some one help me?

t.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Speed controls in Compressor
on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:40:26 pm

compressor is not the tool to do such a thing. Use FCP.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Scott Turner
on Oct 31, 2009 at 9:50:19 pm

It may be clumsy, but using the optical retiming in compressor is a good way to slow down footage using more than FCP's frame blending.

Tomas-- pick a clip that you want to slow down, and export it from FCP using compressor. When you do this, make sure that your export settings are the same as the footage you're editing (for example, if you're editing in DV, export using the advanced format conversion--standard definition--dv)

Then, double click on the setting that you're going to apply to the footage (if you're not familiar with compressor, make sure you apply a setting before you double-click on it and modify it in the inspector. if you don't do this, and you're new to compressor, you can get screwed up and modify something that is not actually being applied to your footage, if that makes sense). Then go to frame controls (third button in the inspector) and choose "on" from the drop-down menu.

Ignore the resizing control, but go down to retiming control. Say you want to set your clip to half-speed...change the "Set duration to:" to 50% of source. Then change the "rate conversion" drop down menu to at least "better." Best will take forever, but it may give you even higher quality. But you must at least do better, or you might as well work in final cut (which does the "good" method)

If your computer is not too fast, or even if it is and you pick a long clip, this conversion can take a LONG time. But the results look great! And if you know how, save your custom settings so that you can use them later (for example, you have a pre-set for making DV footage half speed. Then you can apply and presto...beautiful footage!)

Maybe Daniel knows something I don't about this (probably), but I've had good success doing this.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 2, 2009 at 9:43:37 am

You don't really want to use Compressor (clunky) or FCP (can't do it) for Optical Flow Retiming ... best to send it to Motion. It's explained in the manual.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutstudio/workflows/index.html#chapt...
http://documentation.apple.com/en/motion/usermanual/index.html#chapter=7%26...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]