FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting with Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bree adams
Converting with Compressor
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:02:03 pm

I have never used the Compressor program. Please be patient as I am as green as they come.

I need to convert a 1080 HDV .mov to a 720x480 mpeg. One person needs it in HD and another an mpeg.

I imported the file into Compressor and exported to MPEG format but I did not see an option to make the frame size smaller so it is very stretched.

I would appreciate some guidance on doing this correctly.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Converting with Compressor
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:50:01 pm

[bree adams] "I need to convert a 1080 HDV .mov to a 720x480 mpeg. One person needs it in HD and another an mpeg"

720x480 is an SD not HD frame size. MPEG can be either SD or HD.

MPEG1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4?

If it's MPEG-2 you can't make the frame size smaller, not in compressor anyway.

So, HD (High Definition) is a description of something that is larger than SD (HD is usually 1280x720 or 1920x1080) but does not describe what format it's in. MPEG is refers to a group of standards that can be anything from sub SD to greater than HD

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

bree adams
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:00:34 pm

Thank you. I did figure out how to convert the files. My struggle is in fact a way to change the frame rate without re creating the entire project.

One station I work with takes the HD 1080.mov and use the RECODER program to turn it into an MPEG. I assumed they were changing the frame size but maybe not.

Is there a program that I could have the frame size conversion happen easily?

Return to posts index

bree adams
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:10:03 pm

I am brain dead. I just realized I can drag the file into After Effects and scale it down as a unit and export. This rain is getting to me.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:27:42 pm

Please let us know how you get on.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]