FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I put an FCP video file and an ac3 audio file through Compressor to get a combined result?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Tilsley
Can I put an FCP video file and an ac3 audio file through Compressor to get a combined result?
on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:38:08 pm

Hi we are making digital movies of comedy performances on HDV, editing them multiclip on FCP, and successfully putting them through Compressor 3.5 to export as an MPEG2 program stream at 25mbits. These files are then shown in digital cinemas throughout South Africa. For our latest project we recorded with multiple mics and had a sound engineer make all the audio into a 5.1 surround ac3 file, which he used Nuendo for. I thought it would be great to combine the video and audio in FCP but Cow herd deluxe Tom Wolsky told me FCP doesnt support, so the thought is to put the FCP .mov file and the ac3 file into Compressor separately, and have Compressor make an MPEG2 file with audio in ac3. But when I try this I get either the audio or the video in preview, not both together. I would be so grateful for advice, the machine I am making the FCP file on is a 4x2.5ghz powerpc G5 using FCP 6.0.6 on OS 10.4.11. Compressor is being used on a2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running OS 10.6.1 and using Compressor 3.5 with FCP 7.0.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Can I put an FCP video file and an ac3 audio file through Compressor to get a combined result?
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:22:58 pm

I can't think of anyway to get compressor to do this, but may have another option.

Take your video into compressor and make an appropriate .m2v file for DVDSP. Take the file into DVDSP and format/write the file to HDD. In the VIDEO_TS folder will be a .VOB file that will contain both MPEG video and AC3 audio muxed. Some software (such a VLC) and hardware PVRs will playback the .VOB files. (When you single click the file on your mac, you'll get a Quicktime preview window which will play the video ONLY, no audio.)

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Paul Tilsley
Re: Can I put an FCP video file and an ac3 audio file through Compressor to get a combined result?
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:12:52 pm

thankyou sincerely Terry I will sure try this

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel Low
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:53:45 pm

Have a try with MPEGStream clip from Squared5. It should mux the two files IIRC.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Paul Tilsley
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:39:10 am

thanks Daniel cant wait for office to open up so can try this, as it seems a real simple solution. thankyou for responding so quickly to my plight

Return to posts index

Paul Tilsley
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19:31 pm

Hi Daniel
after I figured out how to import an ac3 file into MPEGStream Clip - command and option - I could get the audio file on its own to import, or the video clip, mute, to import.Both with the same name. But they only come up singly, not together so it aint working for me. any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:13:48 pm

I can;t get access to it till later. While you're waiting have a try with the muxing tools in FFMPEGx:

http://www.ffmpegx.com/

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Paul Tilsley
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:26:42 pm

thanks Daniel will try this and the other suggestion above overn ight, like you I have some other deadlines now, but sincere thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Tilsley
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:16:22 pm

Hi
unfortunately I cant get DVDSP to accept the ac3 file. I like v much tho your suggestion of creating this in DVDSP as it gives me an end video which is up at the 25mbits rate the client requires. I have given video and audio files the same name and they are on the same drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]