FORUMS: list search recent posts

FPS rate for Fliqz compression, need HELP!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
FPS rate for Fliqz compression, need HELP!
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:03:28 pm

Hello,

I am about to shoot Tuesday e-commerce videos of tight shots of jewelry on a slowly spinning turntable. My client uses a video web hosting service called FLIQZ where she sends them the QuickTimes I send her and they compress them into Flash flv.

My urgent question is, should I film them in 1080/60 DVCPRO or at 30P? I figure 60i would be sharper looking than progressive. Does the frame rate I shoot in matter to the compression and streaming service?

Also, I will have to frame them for 4x3 because for some reason their web page developer wants 250x187. Using a Panasonic HPX170.

Many thanks!

Ned

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: FPS rate for Fliqz compression, need HELP!
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:28:32 pm

If the shoot is just for the website - then shoot at 30p - Progressive is better for anything but very fast moving content.

[Ned Miller] "Also, I will have to frame them for 4x3 because for some reason their web page developer wants 250x187. "

Tell your client they need a new web developer 250x187 is an 'illegal' frame size for video. He/she obviously doesn't have a clue. You should be the one dictating frame sizes, not a page layout dweeb.

See here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/video_sizes.h...

Also there's no point in shooting at 1080, you might as well do it at 720 or in this case even 480 - unless you are using the content for something else.

It's like using a Ferrari to pick up the shopping.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:50:07 pm

Thanks Steve! Regarding the frame size, they have catalog still shots of jewelry and when the video loads they want it to be in the same frame. I'll see if I can talk them into changing, I doubt it. It was OK when I did the first shoot in betacam. This is my idea to go HD. I suppose if I do go 480 I can fit more on a card.

Can I ask you a FCP question? When I shot a test and brought a clip into FCP no matter what I do it stays 16x9, how can I make the frame 4x3? I will shoot it keeping the product within the monitor's 4x3 scribe lines, but once in FCP how do I cut off the sides?

Thanks!

Ned

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:05:50 pm

You HAVE to get the video frame size changed. It's just wrong. Really. Seriously. Just wrong. Tell the client it'll look totally crap at that wrong size. If they refuse, then, if I were you, I'd walk away from the job..

In order to make 4:3 from 16:9, you need to crop the video, you are best to do this in your encoding application...what one are you using?

Why don't you just set the camera to shoot 4:3 in the first place?

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Sep 14, 2009 at 12:22:08 am

Because I am shooting HD it will be 16x9. I want to shoot this in HD because I am producing and need to build up more HD samples. As a freelance DP I have shot a lot of HD but have produced and edited no HD.

I am using Sorenson Squeeze 5 so you are advising I crop there to create 4x3 rather than FCP? Is that what you're advising? I would do a test but the Bears are on now!

I will pressure them to change to a size divisible by 16, we'll see, but I turn nothing down with two kids in college!

Best,

Ned

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:10:08 am

Uh Oh...on second thought, I am not doing the encoding, it is being done by Fliqz which is probably an automated service.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:55:55 am

[Ned Miller] "I am using Sorenson Squeeze 5 so you are advising I crop there to create 4x3 rather than FCP? Is that what you're advising?"

Yes

[Ned Miller] "I would do a test but the Bears are on now"

Panda, polar or grizzly? ;-)

Return to posts index

Keith Robinson
on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:05:19 pm

Hi Ned,

My name is Keith Robinson I am an account representative over here at Fliqz.

If you upload a 16:9 video to Fliqz, we will automatically letterbox the video to preserve the aspect ratio. If you want to avoid letterboxing, you will get best results shooting your original video in 4:3. Cropping may result in some distortion.

As far as framerate goes, we suggest a constant frame rate of 30 fps, and a keyframe rate to match (every 30 frames/1 per second).

If you would like to have a more detailed conversation about export settings or anything else, I am available to help via email or phone.

Thanks,

Keith Robinson
krobinson@fliqz.com
510-652-3500 X128

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:30:57 pm

I find it odd that you don't support 16:9 in this day and age, but I find it more odd that the dimensions that you suggest for video in your FAQ are wrong:

http://faq.fliqz.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Player_FAQ#What_are_the_defa...

The sizes maybe almost 4:3 but it's pretty much common knowledge that frame sizes for Flash video should be equally divisible by 16 at best, or 8 next best, as outlined by Adobe here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/video_sizes.h.....

?

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:23:10 am

Wow thanks Keith! It's great a company rep is here to answer questions. I will shoot 30fps then.

However, because I am shooting in HD I am forced to have a 16:9 ratio. I will have the sides cropped off in editing and provide a 4x3 QT to my client in the weird size of 250x187. The client has that size window on their web page for their still photos.

Then the client will upload the QTs to Fliqz. If you could respond before 8AM Central Time, I was planning on shooting 1080, is that OK? I know it's not necessary for their website, just building beautiful product shots for my HD producing reel.

By the way, they are extremely happy with your service!

Best regards,

Ned Miller.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]