FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photo jpeg compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walker
Photo jpeg compression
on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:11:10 am

Hello,

I've been having problems with a color/luminance shift when exporting to the photo jpeg codec out of an avid timeline. The footage looks great in the avid, but when I export using photo jpeg it becomes a little washed out and looses some saturation. I am encoding at best quality, have no filters on at export, using a Mac with QT7. I know there is a known gamma shift with H.264, so are there any known problems with the photo jpeg codec and any workarounds to fix it? I have to supply footage using this codec but want it to look right. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm a bit of a newbie. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Photo jpeg compression
on Sep 12, 2009 at 9:58:10 am

[Chris Walker] "I am encoding at best quality"

How far to the right is the quality slider in the PhotoJPEG compressions setting options?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Chris Walker
on Sep 13, 2009 at 12:55:26 am

How far to the right is the quality slider in the PhotoJPEG compressions setting options?

It's at 100%. But I've also tried it at 90% and the same thing happens (although the file size is quite a bit lower).

Has anyone heard of this happening with this codec? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to fix it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:19:50 am

What format of video are you editing? It may well be that what you are seeing is the effects of colourspace conversion from the timeline of 4:x:x to the 4:4:4 of the PhotoJPEG codec.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Chris Walker
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:49:56 am

The footage is all 4:2:2. So if that's the problem, is it possible to fix it?

I also did a test by dropping the quality to 75%, because I read that the codec drops to a 4:2:2 color space at 75%, but it still has the same shift. Does this mean that it will always happen with this codec?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]