FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to SD .MOV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Kunitz
HD to SD .MOV
on Sep 11, 2009 at 8:30:20 pm

I'm stumped by a simple problem. I'm trying to output what is originally XDCAM EX HQ 1080p/29.97 footage as an SD .MOV file with the 16x9 aspect ratio. I've used Rick Young's workflow successfully to produce SD DVDs but for a grant proposal, they want a .MOV file. I tried outputting my SD sequence (NTSC version of Young's specs) with CCIR 601 NTSC Sq. (4:3) with the corresponding pixel aspect ratio and anamorphic checked; I've also tried it with NTSC (4:3) with and without anamorphic checked. I've tried it with QT settings with DV/DVCPRO-NTSC and with H.264. No matter what I do, the result is 4:3 full frame squashed (except for H.264 which has a frame all 'round but is still distorted). I understand that to get 16:9 it will be letterboxed but I can't even get that. The final format will be a .mov file embedded in a - ready for this? - powerpoint file which they then send around to the judges.

Now, they will also grudgingly accept a straight MPEG-2 DVD, though they prefer the .mov. Should I forget about the .mov and just send them the DVD?

Thanks.

Mac Pro; Macbook Pro; 10.5.8
EX1, rev. 1.1; Sennheiser EW1, 416
FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: HD to SD .MOV
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:10:58 pm

[Bill Kunitz] "they want a .MOV file"

Using what CODEC?

What specific frame size are you choosing for your SD output?

[Bill Kunitz] "I understand that to get 16:9 it will be letterboxed but I can't even get that."

It doesn't have to be.

What application are you using to do this transcoding?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Bill Kunitz
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:20:01 pm

I tried it with DVCPRO-NTSC and with H.264 from a Final Cut Pro timeline. Maybe I need to use compressor but I thought since I was working from an SD timeline I thought I'd be able to export directly from the timeline. The frame size seemed to be locked to the aspect ratio When I chose NTSC DV 3:2 the frame size came up as 720 X 480. I tried plugging in 720 X 405 but the results were awful.

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:36:45 pm

When people ask for a MOV file they are usually also naively are asking for a square pixel file....usually. Any DV (DVCPRO etc) codec is non-square)

You need to send the file to compressor for the best results and I'd probably choose a frame size of 640x360 (which is a 16:9), square pixel, H.264.

Return to posts index

Bill Kunitz
on Sep 12, 2009 at 1:48:12 am

Thank you, Daniel. I've slowly come to that conclusion - and thanks for the frame size suggestion.

Bill

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:33:42 pm

We've experienced a very similar problem using H264 using Apple's codec and by using Daniel's suggestion that solved the problem. We output them at 848x480, which keeps them at the same basic dimensions of what an MPG2 would look like played back on a computer.

What's weird is we can setup a transcode from HD to SD 720x480 16x9 aspect to Quicktime DV, Quicktime JPEG2000 and H264 and the first two play back 16x9, but the H264 plays back full 4x3 and stretched.

So what exactly causes this? Is it the square pixel versus rectangular issue among the codecs?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:51:14 pm

[Chris Blair] "What's weird is we can setup a transcode from HD to SD 720x480 16x9 aspect to Quicktime DV, Quicktime JPEG2000 and H264 and the first two play back 16x9, but the H264 plays back full 4x3 and stretched.

So what exactly causes this? Is it the square pixel versus rectangular issue among the codecs? "

Yes. DV is a non-square pixel format. H.264 can be either square or non-square, JPEG2000 is square.

As such a 720x480 frame can contain either 4x3 or 16x9 content - the pixel aspect ratio controls that.

Return to posts index

Jessica Mathies
on Aug 20, 2010 at 9:25:30 pm

I shot some HD footage (1080i) for a client,and they want me to deliver all the videos in 720x480 format - there's no getting out of this. For the life of me, I can't compress the edited files without it looking squished. I've read the forums, and have seen the bit about not using a squared pixel aspect ratio. I've tried other pixel aspect ratios, but still no luck. Can anyone help me, please? My settings are below. Also, if there is a thread that can tell me how to compress 1920x1080i to 780x480 using only FCP and Compressor, that will work too. I couldn't find it.

Jessica

Sequence settings:
Frame Size: 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: HDTV 1080i (16x9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Anamorphic: No
Field Dominance: Upper / odd
FPS: 29.97
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422

Export Settings in Quicktime Movie: (I export to quicktime movie so that I can export as a reference file)
Compression: H.264
Quality: Best
Frame Rate: 29.97
Key Frame Rate: 24
Frame Recording: yes
Encoding Mode: Multi-pass
Dimensions: 557x313 (current)

QUESTIONS:
Under Dimensions, should I switch from "current" to "compressor native"? If so, which setting should I use, and do I check the letterbox option?

Should I export with QuickTime Conversion instead of QuickTime Movie?

Compressor Settings:
In inspector under the Geometry tab, I've tried the following aspect ratios w/ a frame size of 720x480:
Default for Size
HDV 1080i (16:9)
NTSC CCIR 601 / DV (16:9)

Jessica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]