FORUMS: list search recent posts

Procoder problem on Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Skaf
Procoder problem on Mac
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:41:45 pm

Hi all.
This is my problem, I hope someone can help me because I´m going a bit nuts and cant solve this..:

I´m on a PC trying to make the best looking DVD I can get out of a HD Avid Project.

Did LOTS of test and got the best results with Procoder.
Did my DVDs. Everything ok..they Looked fantastic..

Testde them on the PC, perfect…tested them on a normal DVD player…perfect…then I did my last test on a MacBook Pro wich atomaticaly loads the dvd and plays it with the deafult DVD player that comes with MAC OS X.. and the video is very choppy..getting cuts in the fast motion parts..

So, I decided to run a comple of more test lowering the bitrate and everything..nothing.

Then went back to the PC and encoged with Sorenson Squeeze (not half as good results that Procoder gave me..) and that looks ok on the mack..it plays well..

So I just came to the conclution that anything I do on my PC with Procoder wont have a good motion look on a Mac playing in the standard DVD Player program. (If I play the DVD on the mac with something like VLC it Works great..)

Anyone being able to play Procoder encoged material on a Mac with good results??

By the way..originally burned the dvds with Nero on the PC..also runed some tests with Toast on the mac and I get the same problem

I have a dead line and would really apréciate the help…

Thanks in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Procoder problem on Mac
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:39:56 am

Your issue is likely an incorrect setting on either you Mac's DVD hardware or the software DVD player or a combination.

We run into this issue all the time (on both Macs and PCs) and 99 times out of 100 something isn't optimized on the computer hardware or software.

Keep in my DVD-videos are designed to be played on hardware DVD players connected to televisions. The fact that you can play them on PCs is a bonus but it requires the DVD-Rom and software to do it.

Some possible causes:

-Outdated DVD software player

-You used an MPG2 codec that's new and the Mac software doesn't decode it well.

-Your Macs graphic card drivers are outdated.

-Your DVD software is up to date but using the wrong combination of MPG2 decoder and splitter.

There could be other issues I'm missing too, but I doubt there's anything wrong with the DVD if it plays ok on the PC. Check it on other Macs (if possible) to see what happens before re-encoding.

On PCs you can download Zoom Player and it has a utility to let you switch between all the MPG2/splitter combos until you get optimum playback from your DVD software. I don't know if there's anything like that for the Mac but you could do a google search and see.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Jose Skaf
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:51:23 am

Well tried it on a different Mac and it still doesn't play well with the deafull DVD Mac OSX program..

I'm not sure what to do. I will probably install a earlier version of Procoder to see if the problem is the "new" decoder.

thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:32:10 am

How does the Mac handle a commercial DVD title?

Have you tried playing the VOBs on the DVD with VLC on the Mac?

I've never had any problems with Prodcoder on anything I've tried, it's a superb application.

Is there something common about the two Macs you've tried? (i.e. owned by the same person or company?)

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:26:57 am

My 10 year old Mac that has never been updated (or cleaned) plays back any DVD I give it, even terribly scratched ones.

My brand new HP work laptop running XP chokes on most DVDs I give it.

[Chris Blair] "Keep in my DVD-videos are designed to be played on hardware DVD players connected to televisions. The fact that you can play them on PCs is a bonus but it requires the DVD-Rom and software to do it."

What on earth are you on about? A Computer running a piece of software to play back MPEG-2 content from a build in DVD player is 100x more of a powerful solution than a dedicated DVD player. The monitor connected to you computer is usually fair more revealing and detailed than any TV (unless your TV is a FullHD 1920x1080p24 beast - most domestic flat panels run at 1024)

We use dedicated DVD players to test the 'Lowest common denominator'

[Chris Blair] "-Outdated DVD software player"

The DVD player is part of the OS.

[Chris Blair] "-You used an MPG2 codec that's new and the Mac software doesn't decode it well."

You are grabbing at straws here Chris, see the above.

[Chris Blair] "Your Macs graphic card drivers are outdated."

Very unlikely to be an issue.

[Chris Blair] "Your DVD software is up to date but using the wrong combination of MPG2 decoder and splitter."

[Chris Blair] "Your issue is likely an incorrect setting on either you Mac's DVD hardware or the software DVD player or a combination."

You clearly have absolutely no clue about the Mac.

The OP should try opening the VOB using VLC.

My guess is that the way the disk was burnt or built on the PC is the reason it's not playing

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:04:36 pm

Daniel Low: What on earth are you on about? A Computer running a piece of software to play back MPEG-2 content from a build in DVD player is 100x more of a powerful solution than a dedicated DVD player.

I never said it wasn't a powerful solution. I said DVD's were originally designed to be played back on hardware DVD players hooked to TVs. The colorspace issues in outputting a DVD for consistent playback and display across computer platforms and monitors is a testament to that. Those issues are non-existent when outputting for NTSC or PAL playback. Data rate issues also contribute to inconsistent performance on computers, Mac or PC. Just last month we had a client that had this exact same problem and it turned out to be some software issue (a setting or an update, can't remember which) on their Mac.

And we've seen plenty of Mac computers that have playback issues with DVD Hollywood titles from the video rental store. That's the first thing we asked the client to do, and their commercial DVD wouldn't play properly in their Mac either. Once they updated or changed some setting, it worked fine.

I'm not sure what I did to you to prompt your negative responses to my posts, but I sure wish you'd stop. I don't claim to know everything and never have claimed that. I'm just trying to help the folks that are posting solve their problems. If my suggestions are off-base, that's fine. Correct the errors and move on. That's what we're all here for.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:37:39 pm

[Chris Blair] "I never said it wasn't a powerful solution. I said DVD's were originally designed to be played back on hardware DVD players hooked to TVs. The colorspace issues in outputting a DVD for consistent playback and display across computer platforms and monitors is a testament to that. Those issues are non-existent when outputting for NTSC or PAL playback."

Sorry Chris, but again I have to ask what on earth are you on about? You refer to 'colorspace issues' across computer systems, have you not considered that these problems exist across comsumer DVD players and TV sets, if anything, the problems are worse! PAL & NTSC don't come into it. PAL in a dedicated DVD player is the same PAL on a computer DVD. MPEG-2 is MPEG-2. MPEG-2 decoders adhere to the MPEG-2 decoding standard.

[Chris Blair] "Data rate issues also contribute to inconsistent performance on computers, Mac or PC"

If you re-phrased that to 'avialable bandwidth issues can contribute to inconsistant performance' then I'd agree with you. If your computer is saturating all available data buses or the processors are maxed out doing some huge calculations, then problems will occur.

[Chris Blair] "And we've seen plenty of Mac computers that have playback issues with DVD Hollywood titles from the video rental store. That's the first thing we asked the client to do, and their commercial DVD wouldn't play properly in their Mac either. Once they updated or changed some setting, it worked fine."

Not in all my years have I seen any issues like this. I would sincerely love to know what they updated or changed to get it working.

[Chris Blair] "
I'm not sure what I did to you to prompt your negative responses to my posts, but I sure wish you'd stop."

I was prompted by your wild guessing at what the issue maybe, in the process referring to problems with a platform that you clearly have no clue about, assuming that the same problems that can plague PC users would also apply to the Mac platform.

I'm not say that the Mac is without faults, it has many, but only very very rarely do you need to change a setting or update a driver to get something that is part of the OS to perform as advertised.

In my experience, nearly all issues inc media playback have been caused by the installation of crap 3rd party software.

Lastly, I apologise for being negative but I'm the kind of person to call a spade a spade.

Return to posts index

Jose Skaf
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:41:36 pm

Ok.
I have played the Vob files in VLC on the Mac and Yes. they do look fine.
But the thing is I cant risk sending DVDs like this because if someone pops a DVD in their Mac it will automatically open with the DVD Player that comes with the OS.

I also tried importing the DVD folders and burning it on Toast (in the mac) and I had the same problem with the video encoded in Procoder 3.

Both the macs I’ve tried this on are the new Mac Books.. One a normal Mac Book , the other one a Mac Book Pro.
I would love to be able to use Porcoder because I love the final quality. but I still cant solve this.
By the way, do you guys think it may have something to do with the source being progressive??
Or something related to the bitrates??

And last!! I burn dvds in Nero on the PC..

Thanks for your help!!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:31:50 pm

Progressive shouldn't matter. Bit-rate might be related but if that was the issue it should have similar problems on PCs.

One thing to try is if you're burning the disc at the burner's fastest speed, try a slower one, like 4x or 8x. Again I doubt that would solve it since the disc plays on PCs. But this been reported to help according to people on a few Mac forums.

Also, try different burning software, maybe something's happening in Nero?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:03:04 pm

Daniel Low: Not in all my years have I seen any issues like this. I would sincerely love to know what they updated or changed to get it working.

I called them and asked. They updated a very old graphic card driver and it fixed their issue.

A quick google search turned up this link to a similar fix for a DVD playback problem. It's a two year old link but it was a driver update that fixed DVD playback functionality:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120319

There are also scores of posts like the one below on Mac related forums about users experiencing DVD playback problems with Macs using either burned or commercial DVD discs. The problems vary wildly, but there are many, many posts from users who can play some commercial discs fine, but not others, and users who can likewise play some burned discs but not others. We've had two different clients experience this issue on their G5 Macs with burned DVDs we've given them. In both cases, software updates of one type or the other fixed their problem.

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,493086,493186

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:50:33 pm

[Chris Blair] "A quick google search turned up this link to a similar fix for a DVD playback problem. It's a two year old link but it was a driver update that fixed DVD playback functionality:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120319 "

This fixed an issue where certain Macs with certain types of DVD mechanisms would not play in slow-mo properly and was for a version of OS X that came out in 2002! The update installed some MPEG-2 libraries that were better optimised for Altivec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]