FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better to compress a reference file?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Pope
Better to compress a reference file?
on Aug 30, 2009 at 6:15:25 pm

I've been told a few times that it's better to export a reference file out of FCP, dag it into Compressor and compress that.

Any truth to this?

sam

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Better to compress a reference file?
on Aug 30, 2009 at 7:53:37 pm

Depends on your workflow. There'll be no difference in quality, but you'll save yourself some disc space when exporting by reference.

There are generally fewer 'issues' when you don't export by reference.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
Re: Better to compress a reference file?
on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:09:19 am

I prefer to export a QT reference file. This avoids tying up FCP and compressor. Because FCP renders each frame of video while exporting straight to compressor, you can't use FCP until the export is complete. Depending on the length of your sequence, and the codec/quality settings you're using, this could take a while.

There is no difference in quality with one exception: FCP projects with Motion generated animation will yield higher quality by Exporting using Compressor. I have not tried to find the differences and it makes no sense to me as to why it would have anything to do with quality, it's just what I've heard.

Have you had a look at the FCP manual? It typically has just about all the answers to these types of questions.

If you are able to find solid answers as to which way is better for this reason or that, by all means, let us know.

Thanks.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]