FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saturation Quicktime vs. Mac Finder Preview

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Saliga
Saturation Quicktime vs. Mac Finder Preview
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:56:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone could explain exactly why videos appear more saturated when watching them through QT vs. Finder on a Mac.

I know of the gamma issue with H.264s, but I would assume that Finder uses QT components for preview, and therefore don't know why saturation is boosted in QT player but not in Finder.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Saturation Quicktime vs. Mac Finder Preview
on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:14:10 am

What do you mean by Finder, do you mean when using Quick Look?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Aug 28, 2009 at 12:13:59 pm

Yes, using QuickLook. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:27:19 pm

There shouldn't be a difference because as you say, they are referencing the same libraries. I can only guess that as Quicklook is essentially only a preview, that it is not rendering things exactly, frame size for example will possibly be different from that in the QT player, amongst other things.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:47:19 am

I've seen the same thing in FCP. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it but one of our editors has made me aware of this issue. Of course when I went to see for myself, we couldn't repeat the problem.

Playing the video in the timeline instantly dropped the saturation of the clip. Looks fine while sitting still but once the video starts playing, kablamo. I'm sure this is in the FCP manual but haven't had luck on a quick search.

Additionally, this could be the same type of issue (or bug) when performing the following action: Open up a video in QuickTime (Codec or source doesn't matter). Next, click anywhere on your video frame and drag. You will notice an instant gamma/brightness bump. What the heck is that? I'm sure it has to do with the Color Sync Settings but kind of interesting nonetheless.

If this was easy, just anybody could do it...

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:04:32 pm

Brian,

That is an odd issue. I tried to replicate the results you are describing when playing a clip in QT, but was also unable to do so. That would be a new one to me. Not saying it doesn't exist though, I've had far stranger issues - we all have.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:56:10 pm

Here's the original image:

And here's what it looks like when I grab the frame and start to drag the frame.

This is not happening to motion video, I just want to figure out where the color sync issue is happening.

If you download these and do an A/B comparison (or use your Digital Color Meter.app on your Mac) the color/brightness shift is quite obvious.

Thanks for looking.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:07:14 pm

I can't replicate this either, checked on newly calibrated H-IPS panels.

How do you have your displays calibrated and what are they? If you are using a TN panel, such oddities could be expected as dithering will occur.

That aside, I'd actually prefer a difference between the background image and the one being dragged, it's good UI design.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]