FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 playing from flash card

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
MPEG2 playing from flash card
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:59:35 am

Hi Folks

I'm using the latest version of apple compressor to encode an 7min MPEG for a 20inch motion activated screen. The client has gone out a bought a generic el-cheapo non-branded unit which has options to plug in USB and Flash cards. According to the dodgy manual it'll play AVI, MPEG and VOBs. Straight off the 2GB compact flash cards provided. So I've opted for MPEG.

Anyway I started off maxing out the MPEG 2 quality sliders (audio as well so I ticked the multiplexed Program stream) which pretty much filled the card and I had problems with it playing and stopping so i've progressively reduced the Mbps thinking the file size might be making the unit choke.

However it's still stopping and starting even though I've now got the quality set to 15.0 max bit rate 26.8, 2 pass VBR, Motion set to best. I'm getting about a 800mg file which looks okay but is still playing on and off, stop start. The original footage is pal bottom first and I've kept it this way.

Any input on how to get the file playing properly on these types of devices or input on what the problem might be and what I can do to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
Re: MPEG playing from flash card (more info)
on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:28:06 am

Okay sorry folks should've read Craig's "how to get the fastest compression help" post before I posted. Here's some extra info that may help.

I'm on OSX 10.5.6 using compressor 3.5. QTPro 7.6(473). The source file is a QT in the Photo J-PEG codec - Interger (Big endian) with 48k audio . Trying to output MPEG-1 with audio for use in a device which plays MPEG straight from a compact flash card.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MPEG2 playing from flash card
on Aug 27, 2009 at 7:50:38 am

[Paul Crowe] "However it's still stopping and starting even though I've now got the quality set to 15.0 max bit rate 26.8, 2 pass VBR"

15Mb/s is massive for delivery MPEG-2. and no commercial device will playback 26Mb/s

Why are you using such high rates Is the content SD or HD?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Aug 27, 2009 at 7:59:17 am

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

No it's just SD. To be honest I've never really encoded for these kind of devices so I was experimenting. What are the best MBs settings do you think I can expect it to play?

I've taken it down to AVE 9.0, max 10.7 - is that still to high?

Cheers Paul

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:26:05 am

Depending on the quality of your source and the encoding application you use, you shouldn't need to go above 7Mb/s for SD content.

You may get more consistant playback if you use CBR rather than VBR.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:52:13 am

Thanks Heaps Daniel.

I took it down to 7 and it's playing great. I tweaked some of the filters and it's looking as good as the original SD footage which wasn't really that flash to begin with. It's historical stuff shot on VHS by the look of it.

Cheers again.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]