FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for Video Library Advice

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elijah stanfield
Compression for Video Library Advice
on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:12:10 am

A client wants footage from a previous project made into a video library of clips to used in future projects. I want the next guy to come along to have something nice to work with.
I'm working with HDV 720p. Captured in premier pro.
-H.264 is nice, but too lossy
-MPEG2(.m2v) looks even better, but what's the likelihood of compatibility issues?
-Blackmagic .avi is really good too, but will there be compatibility issues?
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compression for Video Library Advice
on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:45:13 am

[elijah stanfield] "-H.264 is nice, but too lossy
-MPEG2(.m2v) looks even better, but what's the likelihood of compatibility issues?
-Blackmagic .avi is really good too, but will there be compatibility issues? "

H.264 is much less lossy than MPEG-2 at the same datarates.

MPEG-2 will be compatible with 'everything' for years to come but you'll need twice the amount of spece for the same quality over H.264.

Forget about Blackmagic.

Have you thought of using PhotoJPEG? It's better than anything you have mentioned (at over 75% quality) and can be converted to what ever then 'next guy' needs with ease.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

elijah stanfield
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:41:59 pm

Thanks for the response.
When I overlay the different compressed videos in premiere over top of the original and switch between them, the H.264 seems to be compressing more than the .m2V.
I would be interested in trying the JPEG, but all I can find is the Blackmagic motion JPEG and it comes out as an .avi. What's the best way to export as a JPEG?

Most likely I will go with the H.264.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:02:07 pm

[elijah stanfield] "When I overlay the different compressed videos in premiere over top of the original and switch between them, the H.264 seems to be compressing more than the .m2V."

Are you using exactly the same datarates for both the M2V and the H.264?

[elijah stanfield] "I would be interested in trying the JPEG, but all I can find is the Blackmagic motion JPEG and it comes out as an .avi. What's the best way to export as a JPEG?"

You need to choose a Quicktime exporter and from there choose the PhotoJPEG codec - Sorry I don't use Premiere so I cant give you the exact workflow.

I would advise against using either H.264 or M2V for content that is going to used for futher editing. Both are designed as delivery only codecs, unless you go for either very high bitrate (above 15Mb/s) or i-frame only output.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:10:12 pm

You may find this useful:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/887289

Return to posts index

elijah stanfield
on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:46:46 pm

YES!!!! THANK YOU. Quicktime's Motion JPEG B is perfect. It's big but not even close to uncompressed and is looks just as good as the original footage.
Just to make sure. This will be viewable for most people if they have a regular old Quicktime payer?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:00:02 pm

MotionJPEG is not PhotoJPEG, the quality and file sizes are quite different.

Return to posts index

elijah stanfield
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:24:18 pm

even better!...the quality seems comparable, file size is about 20% smaller and faster render too. This is great. thank you.
-Elijah

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:40:50 pm

You are welcome to use the 'Rate this post' ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]