FORUMS: list search recent posts

best compression software

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathleen Wielatz
best compression software
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:36:33 pm

I'm hoping to get some professional opinions. We're looking to either upgrade from Media Cleaner 5 or maybe get other software. I'm new to this subject but I've learned a lot. I've read through the threads and Cleaner, Episode and Sorenson seem to be the top runners.

We're on a G5 MAC, with FCP 5 and Compressor. Most of our output is for DVD, Power Point (on PC) and a few web videos. My problem with Compressor is that it wont give me full screen mpeg1 for Power Point, and I can't get wmv's out of it. (We do a lot of Power Point presentations on PCs.) It wont let me specify the dimension for mpeg1, which I thought was standardized at 320x240. But, the old editor here says his old version of Media Cleaner software WILL let him specify dimensions other than 320x240 for mpeg1. hmmm. Granted, his computer system is about 7 yrs old. (a Mac OS9?) Will the newer version of Cleaner let you do that too?

Should we upgrade the Cleaner (who makes it now?) or go with one of the other softare packages?

Thank you so much for your time. This forum is very helpful.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: best compression software
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:42:34 pm

[Kathleen Wielatz] "But, the old editor here says his old version of Media Cleaner software WILL let him specify dimensions other than 320x240 for mpeg1. hmmm"

He's right but there's no point in spending money on upgrading cleaner.

Episode is what you need and it's miles ahead of cleaner.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Kathleen Wielatz
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:02:00 pm

Thanks Daniel. Can you tell me if mpeg1 (in Episode or any other current compression software)still allows you to specify dimensions? The mpeg1 in Compressor will not-it doesnt even give you a dimesnion field in the inspector palette. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:58:10 pm

[Kathleen Wielatz] "Can you tell me if mpeg1 (in Episode or any other current compression software)still allows you to specify dimensions?"

Episode allows you to specify any frame size for MPEG-1 (the MPEG-1 spec actually allows for frame sizes up to 4095x4095 at up to 100Mb/s which Episode seems to allow)

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]