FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaner or Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Pachomski
Cleaner or Compressor
on Aug 18, 2009 at 5:19:04 pm

Hey everyone ... been a long time. Hope y'all are well.

This might be an age old question, but lemme lay out my goals and see if it warrants an answer -- it'd be much appreciated.

K, so first, here's my setup:

Mac 2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB DDR RAM
Leopard (10.5.5)
Avid 3.5.2
Cleaner 6.5
Compressor 3.0.5

Input Codec: Avid Meridian Compressed

Destination Codec: H.264 for download

My goal is to set up a Watch Folder (on a secondary machine dedicated to encoding) that I can export Same As Source QTs out of the Avid into and then have Cleaner/Compressor immediately grab it, compress it using the default compression setting and then put it in a default destination folder.

Things to consider:

there's the potential for LARGE batches being placed in the Watch Folder at once.

which ever program I use, it has to poll the watch folder frequently enough so that the lag time from when a source QT is put in the folder and the time the program beings compressing it is MINIMAL (e.g. immediately would be ideal).

What does everyone think? Anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

PS. JUST HAD AN AFTERTHOUGHT ... would exporting Reference QTs instead of Same-As-Source (for the Source files) work? Would it be faster? I'd imagine so, but I'm nervous about those little buggers. I've had issues with them in the past (not seeing media etc etc).

project2501
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Cleaner or Compressor
on Aug 18, 2009 at 9:09:55 pm

Ref QT would certainly be much quicker as part of a workflow but 'may' cause issues but it's rare. If it were me I'd go with ref movies and then trouble shoot as and when.

If you are asking whether you should be using cleaner or compressor, well there is no choice, it has to be compressor. If you had instead asked compressor or episode, I would have said episode, simply because it uses a much, much better H.264 codec. If you are doing large amounts of this work, for a client, it's a very worthy investment.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Cleaner or Compressor
on Aug 22, 2009 at 4:38:22 pm

Ditto on Episode over Compressor for this task.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]