FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor 3.5 & bluray

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Stephens
compressor 3.5 & bluray
on Aug 15, 2009 at 6:40:03 pm

Has any one made a Bluray disc with compressor yet? I just made a bluray on a regular -R DVD and it won't play back on the MAC. I don't have a bluray player or burner yet. Doesn't the mac player support Bluray? You would think if they put it in compressor you would have a way to proof it. I know they said you can make blurays on red laser DVD's.

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: compressor 3.5 & bluray
on Aug 15, 2009 at 9:45:10 pm

[Alan Stephens] "I just made a bluray on a regular -R DVD"

Err, Bluray is a new type of HD disc format so you actually can't do what you've said. You might have put H.264 video at HD resolution on a DVD, but it's not Bluray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

[Alan Stephens] "Doesn't the mac player support Bluray?"

See above, you need a Bluray disc drive to play back Bluray discs.

With the latest FCS you can create a Bluray 'package' with menus etc and take that into the latest version of Toast and burn a Bluray disc. But only if you have a Bluray burner - eg:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

It's suspected that Snow Leopard and the next generation of Macs will have full Bluray support

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:51:12 pm

[Daniel Low] "[Alan Stephens] "I just made a bluray on a regular -R DVD"

Err, Bluray is a new type of HD disc format so you actually can't do what you've said. You might have put H.264 video at HD resolution on a DVD, but it's not Bluray.
"

_______
Actually Apple calls it an AVCHD disc so maybe the better term is HD Red-ray (red rather than blue laser).

As the Compressor Manual puts it

An AVCHD disc can be thought of as a simpler HD disc that is burned to red laser media.
The resulting disc plays in Blu-ray Disc players that are compatible with the AVCHD format.
This means that you can burn a disc that contains HD video content and some basic
menu features using a standard DVD burner and play that disc in compatible Blu-ray Disc
players.

[Daniel Low] "[Alan Stephens] "Doesn't the mac player support Bluray?"

See above, you need a Bluray disc drive to play back Bluray discs. "

________
You can't play Blu-ray video discs on Mac at the moment even if you have Blu-ray disc drive.

[Daniel Low] "With the latest FCS you can create a Bluray 'package' with menus etc and take that into the latest version of Toast and burn a Bluray disc. But only if you have a Bluray burner - eg: "

_____
Final Cut Pro 7 Share feature and Compressor 3.5 can encode and burn Blu-ray video discs with menu and chapter markers straight to a Blu-ray burner. You do not need Toast.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 16, 2009 at 6:28:48 pm

Thanks for the update Craig. Shame on Apple for only giving some half hearted offering. I guess something better may come in Snow Leopard

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 17, 2009 at 3:12:29 pm

Interesting that hours after posting this Ken Stone posted a step by step how to create a Blu-ray compatible DVD using FCP7's Share feature.

He did make an important technical note. Such AVCHD "Blu-ray" DVD would have an avg data rate of 14.7Mbps and a peak of 17Mbps compared to an actual Blu-ray disc which would be an avg of 30Mbps and peak of 34.5Mbps. So there is a quality limitation in burning to DVD (red laser) but reports have been that it does look very good. He notes that FCP offers NO user control of the bit rate. Basically what's included with Final Cut Studio is something even more primitive than the early version of iDVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]