FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing FPS in Quicktime

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Lazaro
Changing FPS in Quicktime
on Aug 7, 2009 at 6:28:55 pm

Hi,

I'm converting an mpg movie to a quicktime movie and at the same time I'm speeding it up. When I choose my setting (I'm using jpg compression) in FPS I select "Custom" ant put it on 1fps.
As a result I get a quicktime with one frame of every 30 but it plays at 1fps, so every frames is repeated 30 times.
I'm trying to export this quicktime with the same compression setting but at 30fps, but the result is always 1fps.
The only way so far that I found was to export my mpg movie in a sequence of jpg at 1fps and then open that image sequence with quicktime at 30fps.

To make it short the question is:
How can you change the FPS in a quicktime?
If you have a quicktime that is 1, 15, 20 fps and you want a 30fps what can you do?

I tried using the export in quicktime pro but the fps setting gets bypassed during the exporting so your result quicktime has the same fps than the original.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Changing FPS in Quicktime
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:45:40 pm

The only way to speed it up is to use a time re-mapper.

You can't just change the number of frames per second and expect it to speed up or slow down.

Do you have Final Cut Pro?

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Martin Lazaro
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:56:11 pm

Thanks for your answer.

The reason why I'm re-compressing using 1fps setting is because is way faster than doing it at 30fps.
The software is re-compressing 30 times less footage. What I need to do is to convert the fps player settings in quicktime from 1fps to 30fps.
I need to recompress my original files and I know that I'm going to use them way faster than how they were originally shot so I'm trying to take advantage recompressing less frames.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 7, 2009 at 11:09:00 pm

[Martin Lazaro] "The reason why I'm re-compressing using 1fps setting is because is way faster than doing it at 30fps.
The software is re-compressing 30 times less footage. What I need to do is to convert the fps player settings in quicktime from 1fps to 30fps.
I need to recompress my original files and I know that I'm going to use them way faster than how they were originally shot so I'm trying to take advantage recompressing less frames."

Sorry but you make no sense whatsoever. 1fps is a slideshow

Why are you doing what you are doing? What are you trying to achieve?

When creating a DVD slideshow you might only show 1 frame per second but your video will still be running at 30fps - i.e. 1 frame stays on screen for 1 second but 30 frames.

If you want to create some sort of megafast clip where each frame is different then you need to place a different still image at each 1/30th or 1/15th of a second in your editor or compositor.

Or use a time remapping filter.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]