FORUMS: list search recent posts

60fps to 25fps for SD DVD PAL

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Parsons
60fps to 25fps for SD DVD PAL
on Aug 7, 2009 at 11:51:05 am

Hello Guys,

I have a project that was shot at 720p at 60fps on a panasonic varicam and I am now at output, the client has asked for a ntsc and pal dvd's, now the ntsc dvd's play fine but the pal conversion from 60fps to 25fps is very juddery and suffers greatly from motion blur.

The question is what is the best way of compressing or outputting this footage so it plays like it should? is there a method in Final Cut or is there an external plug in I need to get?

Thank you dearly for your thoughts and Time.

All the best,

Timothy

T.Parsons

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel Low
Re: 60fps to 25fps for SD DVD PAL
on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:57:42 pm

Just send the client the NTSC DVDs. 99.9% of dvd players sold in PAL land for several years will play NTSC perfectly happily.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Timothy Parsons
on Aug 7, 2009 at 4:17:32 pm

I thought as much Daniel, I have one other route to try then I will go down this one. Thanks for taking time to get back to me, its good to know people are out there and happy to help and at 17.16 on a friday the advice I have been given today will make my weekend a lot easier.

Thanks buddy and have a good weekend!

T.Parsons

Return to posts index

Gary Devlin
on Oct 9, 2018 at 12:42:19 pm

Does anyone on earth know how to convert NTSC to Pal DVD and have a viewable picture without stair stepping or stuttering?

I live in the UK and bought NTSC Panasonic Varicam's because they are now cheap.
Most of my work ends up online, but occasionally I need to burn DVD's for clients.

Varicam SDI Out ---Blackmagic Design Video Assist --- 720/59.94p (25p in the Camera)

While the Varicam is set to 60Hz mode, Blackmagic Video assist recordings have a popping sound.

Setting the Varicam to 59.94Hz eliminates the popping sound.

FCP X --- Ingest 720/59.94p ---- Export Master

Compressor-- Import 720/59.94p ---- Burn Pal DVD--- 720 x576 /25p --- The DVD is Juddery on Camera tilts

Compressor-- Import 720/59.94p ---- Burn NTSC DVD--- 720 x 480 /29.97p --- The DVD has bad stair stepping on the diagonals/edges

Compressor-- Import 720/59.94p ---- Burn NTSC DVD--- 720 x 480 /23.976p --- The DVD has bad stair stepping on the diagonals/edges

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 9, 2018 at 2:59:45 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Oct 9, 2018 at 3:01:40 pm

[Gary Devlin] "Varicam SDI Out ---Blackmagic Design Video Assist --- 720/59.94p (25p in the Camera)
"

I'm not sure what you're doing or why. If it's 25p in camera perhaps you should output 25p. You may need to explain this further since your goal is PAL.
Blackmagic capture devices can sometimes do real time conversion from HD to SD so you may want to look at those settings in the driver (Currently 10.11.2).
Also you may need to look at the scaling settings in Compressor. Don't assume the default is correct. If your source is truly 60p the frame rate conversion is mission critical for smooth motion. Scaling is critical to avoid aliasing.

Return to posts index

Gary Devlin
on Oct 10, 2018 at 9:50:08 am

I am shooting on a Panasonic AJ-HDC27HP. I record to a black magic design video assist at 720p 59.94p.

The HD content on the web looks fine. The PAL DVD that I'm trying to burn for people here in the UK contacts stair stepping or has juddery motion during camera tilts.

Is possible to create a viewable PAL DVD with an NTSC camera without bad motion or do I need to sell the camera?

See my camera settings

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 10, 2018 at 2:50:01 pm

Given most newer professional cameras can switch between NTSC and PAL compatible frame rates I'd say it's time to sell the camera if you need PAL compatible frame rates.

Some frame rate source to destination types are harder than others. You really do need to look at the frame rate conversion features in Apple Compressor and test. The actual content motion, shutter speed (motion blur), impact the results and there are settings to adjust on a case by case bases. Other if this is a regular part of your business you may want to get a Blackmagic Teranex devise which will probably do the cleanest real time conversion. But you might be better just selling the camera and buying a proper international camera (most professional cameras are these days).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]