FORUMS: list search recent posts

Take me to school - SWF Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Stone
Take me to school - SWF Compression
on Aug 6, 2009 at 3:05:40 pm

Hello everyone,
Hope you can help. I've created a video, and the client's web techie wants it in swf format. I stick it Sorenson, and convert to swf, and it creates a swf and a flv. The swf is only 12KB (for a 1 minute video) whereas the FLV is 9MB. I can play both the files at this juncture. However, if I move either of the files from that folder, it refuses to work, and we keep sending the client new swfs which don't work their end either.
I'm new to SWF files, so please can someone explain what's going on!?

Thank You,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Take me to school - SWF Compression
on Aug 6, 2009 at 4:06:24 pm

Does your .swf file include any sort of player interface or does it look the same as your .flv file? Typically an .swf (shockwave flash object) contains the control parameters for your video, or is created for compatibility in web authoring. For instance, many web authoring apps would rather insert an .swf file than an .flv file. But all the .swf does is basically point to the .flv and tell the web app info about the .flv video.

So...your actual compressed video is the .flv (flash video) file. For the client to get the files to work, they need to embed a Flash player in their application. It's the same thing as needing windows media player to play a .wmv or quicktime to play a quicktime movie. The .flv or .swf won't play unless you have a player to play it in.

If they don't know how to do that on the client side, they'll have to learn (lots of good resources by just googling, or go to http://www.longtailvideo.com for some great tutorials and applications).

Or, you could learn how to do it and charge your client more!

So think of it like outputting a .wmv file. If they were to embed the .wmv into a website, they'd have to embed the player into the code somewhere so that it would play on the page. If you don't, when the user clicks on it, it opens up their windows media player and plays the video in the external application. Flash video (.flv) typically won't call a separate video player from a website. So you HAVE to embed the flash player into the site to get the video to play.

Hope that helps.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Stone
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:15:27 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I didn't follow much of it, I am really new to swf files, never been asked for one before!

I think it's safe to say there's no player interfaces involved, as I don't know anything about them! I've just got a video file that yes, looks the same as the flv file when it plays. I'm going to try sending them another file with some ofyour comments and hope that works, otherwise I'm really lost in the woods! :S

Thanks,

Ry

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Aug 8, 2009 at 1:11:23 am

If they just need to be able to play it. Direct them to download VLC player (it's free). It will play flash video files.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If they're planning on putting it on a website, they'll have to figure out how to use Flash Players because an .flv or .swf won't play on a website without one.

Again...it's like putting a .wmv on a website, but the end-user doesn't have windows media player installed. The video won't play on that user's computer whether the file is downloaded or embedded in the site.

Another analogy would be a Windows user that doesn't have Quicktime installed. Quicktime files on websites won't play.

It's really as simple as that. The only major difference is that the Adobe Flash Player doesn't have a good standalone equivalent to Windows Media Player or Quicktime. It's major implementation is within web browswers as a plug-in (like when you download or update your Flash Player).

Hope that helps.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Stone
on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:52:42 am

Hello again,

I finally heard back from the client, and this time, their web developer. The swf file I provided still doesn't work, and here's the explanation from the developer himself:

"I had a look at this ‘new set of files’
and they are not what I required. You should simply be able to drag and drop an SWF file (stand alone) into a browser window for it to play, both your other movies work this way and there is no issue. Your website is configured to work using a control that emulates this format into a ‘light window’ using a third party framework; if it is not as I have mentioned then it won’t work this way without extra development efforts."

That does not help me at all, as I still can't seem to create standalone SWF files, they are always created with a flv and won't work without it. Can anyone help??

Thank You

Ryan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:02:13 pm

I believe Squeeze has a function that created an apparently self contained SWF.

Click on the SWF (not FLV) preset you want to use. Copy and modify to taste. Click on the Player Option linked to the preset and you'll see an option that says Video Location Linked FLV, Embed. Chose Embed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]