FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlacing: Compressor vs FieldsKit

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Streeper
Deinterlacing: Compressor vs FieldsKit
on Aug 5, 2009 at 6:42:09 pm

Hi,
I was just wondering how Re:Vision's FieldsKit stacks up against Compressor's Frame Controls tab for deinterlacing. Anyone done any head to head tests? Is Compressor the best deinterlacing option in town?
I've got some DVCPro50 29.97 that I'd like to take to 24p. I know that Compressor can take a long time to deinterlace at the best settings, but time's not really an issue for this project. The footage just has to look as good as I can get it.
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Deinterlacing: Compressor vs FieldsKit
on Aug 5, 2009 at 10:59:38 pm

I've not done a side-by-side but looking at the methods that fieldskit offers I don't think it could better compressor, nor Episode.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

Tim McLaughlin
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:25:14 pm

Stay away from Compressor for deinterlacing. It's not a very good job and takes FOREVER.

My best conversions have been with JES deinterlacer.

Take your 29.97 interlaced footage, dump it into JES, and blend the fields. Goes in as 30i, comes out as 30p.

Now take the new 30p footage and run that through Compressor (with Frame controls set to better or best) to make the 29.97 to 23.98 conversion.

A bit of a workaround but looks great in the end.

Only downside - totally destroys your timecode from the original source.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:50:04 pm

[Tim McLaughlin] "Stay away from Compressor for deinterlacing. It's not a very good job and takes FOREVER"

[Tim McLaughlin] "Take your 29.97 interlaced footage, dump it into JES, and blend the fields. Goes in as 30i, comes out as 30p"

Your milage may vary but I've never had a situation where blending looks better than an adaptive, motion compensated deinterlace

http://www.100fps.com/

Steve Ballmer To USA Today

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]