FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD glitches from hell

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
DVD glitches from hell
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:15:19 pm

I've been having a problem that can best be described as a Ghost in the Machine...

a 72 minute documentary... the DVDs have digital glitches that tend to freak out a DVD player. They are not "burned" into the frames because they manifest differently when viewed again. Digital blockiness, frame overlays (part of previous frames on next frame), pixilated wonderment. The glitches are not throughout the video, but periodically show up. I've tried different brand of discs, different encodes, different burners, different burn speeds, different players, and the client keeps having same/similar problems. (Most of the time I can not replicate the glitches on my new Bluray/DVD player. But on one go around, I was.)

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any suggestions?

It's so weird, I've never had this problem before, and I can't seem to shake it.
The only thing I have not tried is a constant bit rate. I'm going to try that now. Any suggestions on a data rate?

Computer - Mac OS X 10.5.6
Compressor 3.0.5 using "DVD - Best Quality 90 minutes" preset
QuickTime 7.6.0
Source file: Prores HQ, 1280x720 59.94
Destination codec: Mpeg2 480i 29.97
DVD authoring: DVDSP 4.2.1
Burning software: tried DVDSP, Toast using build from DVDSP, and Disc Utility to burn img from DVDSP

Upside: the glitches make beautiful abstract art.

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: DVD glitches from hell
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:33:09 pm

A bit more specificity would help although it would still involve some guesswork.

Stick with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media. Burn at the slowest possible speed your burner will allow (2x if possible). Never use adhesive labels.

If it keeps happing in different places it can be
dirt on the disk after burning
adhesive label throwing of spin and balance
Player incompatibility. You really need to list player and its age and media tested in it They can all be factors.
While this may not be a peak data rate issue, you could test by lowering the peak and then playing in a given player to see if it improves things.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:15:46 am

Our standard encode is 6.2 mbps out of compressor, constant bitrate. And when Craig suggests Verbatim media, don't assume that Verbatim media at your local office supply store is good enough. I've been told that media at mot retail stores is branded and is manufactured in China. The "good" stuff is unbranded and spindled manufactured in Japanese factories.

We use spindled Verbatim, stick to 6.2 CBR, ALWAYS make AC3 audio and burn the Master at 2x speed. Our duplicators burn at 4x speed from a hard drive to 8x media.

Never had a glitch, but have seen a few bad discs along the way.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 31, 2009 at 11:23:36 am

I swear by Maxell, who actually make their own media. (Back in the day I always used their audio cassettes and reel-to-reel media followed by their VHS tapes!)

Good write up on DVD media quality here:

http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp

There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant number of users want fixed. … I'm saying we don't do a new version to fix bugs. We don't. Not enough people would buy it. You can take a hundred people using Microsoft Word. Call them up and say "Would you buy a new version because of bugs?" You won't get a single person to say they'd buy a new version because of bugs. We'd never be able to sell a release on that basis.

Bill Gates. Focus Magazine No. 43 (23 October 1995)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 1, 2009 at 12:22:24 am

I didn't want to throw in another manufacturer, but we do actually use the Maxell RPW for our master discs. Verbatim is for copies.

RPW is just a tad more than verbatim but peace of mind is everything!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on Aug 4, 2009 at 8:27:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We're still having problems after many of your suggestions, but I'm going to shop for some new media today and try a couple other tricks. I'll post the solution if I ever arrive at one.

-Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]