FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Avid DNxHD to DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fraun Petri
Mac Avid DNxHD to DVD
on Jul 22, 2009 at 6:43:25 pm

Hello all,

Here's a very specific question that probably has quite a few answers to it - I wanted to see what anyone here with more experience can recommend.

3 givens for the situation:

1 - Working in Avid MC with footage at HD res using the DNxHD 36 codec.

2 - The files need to have a watermark or burn-in on every individual shot.

3 - We are making DVDs with toast of selects from the footage.

I know there are many different ways to go from one program/file type to the other as far as quality/time is concerned but I'm not able to find the magic combination for our show.

Given the high volume of shots needed to be exported - placing a watermark on all the clips in avid is too time consuming.

Our initial attempt was to exporting same as source from the Avid, then go through compressor and add the watermark to make files ready for creating a DVD. The preset for compressor's DVD created 2 separate files however which was unwieldy considering the sheer amount of them we deal with on a daily basis.

I then attempted to use the Multiplexed MPEG-1/Layer 2 Audio setting to create a single file that Toast could work with. The .m2t files required an additional encode from toast and the quality dropped.

We are considering using quicktime pro's feature which enables us to add a watermark to the same as source file and then bring directly into Toast to begin encoding.

However, as we are using four core mac pros I thought that utilizing Qmaster through compressor would be the fastest way to encode - I don't believe that Toast utilizes this capability.

We've considered using an intermediate format from compressor - but honestly have not really found a good fit yet.

Any help or thoughts as to the best way to get single files with watermark for bringing into Toast to keep the quality up and encode time down?

-Fraun

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Mac Avid DNxHD to DVD
on Jul 23, 2009 at 11:12:58 am

Why are you using Toast and not DVD Studio Pro?

Compressor creates two seperate files as that is what one would use when creating a DVD.
You need to select Program Stream of you want one (muxed) file rather than Elementary Stream (seperate video and audio)But if you use DVDSP, stick to Elementary.

Compressor is much higher quality than Toast (which at the end of the day is just a great disc burning utility - it's not much good at any kind of transocde)

Don't use Quicktime pro for the encode, it'll look rubbish.

Use Qmaster - it'll speed the transcode up

Return to posts index

Fraun Petri
Re: Mac Avid DNxHD to DVD
on Jul 23, 2009 at 4:36:23 pm

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the response. It looks like we figured out what works best for us.

I would prefer to do use DVD studio pro as well but because there is a parade of people making these DVDs here, dragging and dropping single files into Toast has proved the least problematic (that's why we've found ourselves using the program)

The issue was with the re-encode in toast and that was a setting which had to be changed to never re-encode. Now it is able to recognize the .mt2 mpeg-2 files and multiplex them instead of attempting to re-encode them (if you place the 2 separate .m2v and .ac3 files from compressor the program automatically recognizes it doesn't need to re-encode which is what was throwing us off).

If anyone finds themselves in this bizarre workflow, hopefully this can help.

-Fraun

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]