FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox CompressHD races to the H.264 finish line

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:54:09 pm

Posted in the Matrox forum but I think the review of Matrox CompressHD might be of interest to people here given it's focus on compression.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Matrox CompressHD races to the H.264 finish line
on Jul 23, 2009 at 11:06:12 am

That looks very nice indeed.

What was your storage setup for those tests Craig?

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:53:25 am

This is great Craig, thank you. I placed an order for the CompressHD earlier today to go with the newly ordered 2.66 Dual Qaud, 12 Gig Ram Mac Pro. I can't wait for either of them to get here!

I was a bit apprehensive ordering the CompressHD after using Elgato's TurboHD but the Turbo seems to be geared a little more towards the prosumer side. I'm hoping that I don't see the softness degradation like I do with the TurboHD.

I'm still waiting to hear good news from Bassel about Episode and CompressHD compatibility (I've got my fingers crossed): http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/132/857560#857560

Thanks again for taking the time to run these tests.

-
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:25:28 am

[Brian Alexander] "I was a bit apprehensive ordering the CompressHD after using Elgato's TurboHD but the Turbo seems to be geared a little more towards the prosumer side. I'm hoping that I don't see the softness degradation like I do with the TurboHD. "

My tests show it's at least equal to Apple H.264 if not better. As you can see I took some close looks. I wasn't expecting the CompressHD to be better that Compressor Frame Controls and was quite pleasantly surprised that it surpassed "deinterlace better" frequently. It seemed to handle fast motion better which might indicate the kind of deinterlacing it's using. CompressHD is decidedly a Pro device. Keep in mind it's single pass encode is rivaling Apple's multipass.

[Brian Alexander] "I'm still waiting to hear good news from Bassel about Episode and CompressHD compatibility (I've got my fingers crossed)"

I'm also on the beta list fro Episode. You'll see my capo on top of the COW Telestream Episode forum.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:15:38 am

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Internal hard drives. Backups to DL-DVD. I have a NAS but don't use that for this purpose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]