FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Big Endian the Bane of My Existence?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Liss
Is Big Endian the Bane of My Existence?
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:10:52 pm

So, I have to do multiple compressions every day, and I've recently discovered that it's taking a lot longer on my computer than on others. The only difference between the computers is that mine is a PPC, and the others are Intel, which I don't feel fully accounts for it taking 5-6 times as long to convert something.

However, I've also noticed that some files convert faster than others. The only difference between them (that I can tell) is that the slow ones are Big Endian, and the fast ones are Little Endian, which compress almost twice as quickly. Could this be it? Is there some way to find other differences between the files? And, if the Endian thing is the problem, is there any way to export from FCP in Little Endian?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Is Big Endian the Bane of My Existence?
on Jul 14, 2009 at 7:05:38 pm

[Adam Liss] "The only difference between the computers is that mine is a PPC, and the others are Intel, which I don't feel fully accounts for it taking 5-6 times as long to convert something. "

You need to feel it. Intel can be much, much faster than PPC for certain tasks. Don't forget that it's not only the processor that's faster, all the other components and buses are also likely to be much faster.

This explains the two Endians quite well.

http://www.cs.umass.edu/~Verts/cs32/endian.html

And here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/992161

Return to posts index

Adam Liss
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:34:31 pm

Hey, thanks for the great links. Unfortunately, it looks like little endian isn't the problem. Do you know of any way to get more detail on how something is encoded than what QT gives you? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:42:31 pm

[Adam Liss] "Do you know of any way to get more detail on how something is encoded than what QT gives you"

What are you trying to find out?

Return to posts index

Adam Liss
on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:54:26 pm

Well, it seems like video exported from my computer transcodes slower than video exported from other computers. I'm assuming there must be some setting that's different, however as far as I can tell, we're all using the same export settings. So I figure some setting somewhere must be different, and I'm trying to find it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 15, 2009 at 7:33:09 pm

The only way is to compare the two transcode settings

As for PPC vers Intel, you need to check out this:

http://www.barefeats.com/harper.html

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jul 18, 2009 at 5:15:18 pm

You basically need to take the same source file and transcode it using the EXACT same settings on each computer. You also need to make sure any global software settings are the same on the software you're using.

If you get the same results, then you can rule out the transcoding software, codecs, settings etc. and start looking at PC configuration, both hardware and software.

Just as an aside, we run identical IBM intellistations in three edit suites....but when transcoding using apps like ProCoder and others, we sometimes see significant differences in transcode times. There are dozens of things that can account for this, from bios settings to old drivers or driver settings, to drive fragmentation and optimization etc.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Adam Liss
Glitching Video, I/O Errors, and More
on Jul 23, 2009 at 8:02:38 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. This is a new station for me, and it seems like maybe it isn't just the settings after all. The videos glitch a lot, report dropped frames etc. even when I'm playing it at the lowest quality with safe RT. Granted I'm usually editing off a server, but this didn't happen with the old computer. It also occasionally gives me an I/O error, or freezes in the middle of exporting.

This, plus the fact that compressor takes something like 15x real time to export HD makes me think something big is wrong. It's a 2.3 GHz PPC tower with 5.5 GB of RAM, which I think should be able to handle this. Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Just a thought: I read on another forum that power issues can cause rendering issues. I'm running a tower and a monitor as opposed to the iMac I used to have. This is in addition to a PC and monitor that have always been here. Could this be something?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]