FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPG2 Muxed Nightmare. Please help me.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Lazaro
MPG2 Muxed Nightmare. Please help me.
on Jul 4, 2009 at 1:22:49 am

Hello,
I'm working in a video art project. I have a huge amount of mpg2 muxed files. More than 800 hours.
I record them using a system with no options to choose the format and I ended up in this mess.

Basically this are real time recording of entire days. Like 10 hours each and I have 100 days. My goal is edit everything together and speed it up.

I started using FCP, but the system is not happy with this kind of compression and crashes all the time. I found that Adobe premier works better but it fails to render giving me red frames.

What I want to do is convert all this files to a friendlier format DV/NTCS, H264, etc.
There is any way to convert all this in an automatic way?
I have a 2 terabytes hard drive with 100 folders(around 40 gig) with 10 or more quicktimes(about 1 or 2 gigs each one)

Converting one by one is going to take me like three months. I need a solution to convert all this files.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chris Carnazzo
Re: MPG2 Muxed Nightmare. Please help me.
on Jul 5, 2009 at 4:55:44 pm

Can you use compressor? It should have come with the final cut pro suite. Bring in all your muxed mpeg files into compressor, have it convert to NTSC DV quicktime files if you're working in SD, Apple ProRes if you're working in HD.

It may take a while. Let it go over night and see how many files you have to work with.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:13:21 pm

Compressor does not handle all forms of MPEG2 muxed files.

Martin doesn't mention how they were recorded or with what. Even if there were no options in the recording device, a good manual would mention how it was recording (but there are certainly many bad manuals out there).

There's a "how to" on the top of this forum which explains about providing information for fast answers. Providing all that info really can result in fast answers or at least more informed trouble shooting.

Return to posts index

Martin Lazaro
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:53:43 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my post.
This is the file description

MPEG2 Muxed 640x480 30fps
Is was recorded with this device
http://www.datatoys.com/xm-dvr.php

So far I tried FCP, Compressor, Adobe Premiere, Quicktime Pro, MPEG Streamclip, ffmpegX_0.0.9y.
I was able to re-compress some files but other just make all these softwares crash. Those file are not corrupted because I can play them in quicktime (I've installed the mpg2 Apple components)

I think the problem are de codecs on Mac. Correct me if I'm wrong but all these software use the same codecs, so if one fails the rest also fail.

I try to re-compress one of this problematic files using a Windows Application called AVS Video converter and It worked.

I'm going to try recompressing all the files using Windows and after that I'm going to edit them together in FCP
Which one is the best Window application for converting these huge amount of files?
Something equivalent to Apple Compressor.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:29:02 am

Can Quicktime Play the source File?
Try playing in VLC.

It could be it's encoded in 4:2:2 color space instead of 4:2:0 for example. Quicktime can't handle some 4:2:2 MPEG2 files but VLC can.

Try downloading the trial version of Telestream Episode Pro and see if that can encode it to another format.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:30:58 am

Use MPEG Streamclip. Save the encoded files to a DIFFERENT drive from the source files.

Make sure your settings are correct. DV is 720 x 480 and so should your MPEGs. MPEG Streamclip can do short segments using the in and out feature and it can batch. Do a test on short clips and once you have your settings tweaked and saved, run the batch.

And promise that before you record another 100 hours of anything you talk to some video professional about workflow. We will provide useful suggestions!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Martin Lazaro
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:59:01 pm

Thanks a lot for your help.
I have some issues downloading the Telestream Episode Pro, so I couldn't tested it. Anyway it's so expensive than even if works I'm no going to be able to use it.

So far what is working better but not perfect is a software called AVS Video converter. It can read all my files even those ones that are causing crashes in Mpeg Streamclip, Quicktime Pro and Compressor.
To be honest I couldn't find a pattern or a reason why some files can be exported with these software are why other don't. All have been recorder with the same system, just the size vary.
ideo converter

The AVS Video converter let me recompress the files in Jpeg sequences at 1fps, so I get an speed up version 30 times faster than the original. After that I open the image sequence with Quicktime pro and then save it as a .mov . it's a pain in the butt, but is working.

I'm not an expert in compression techniques but I've being involved in the Vfx Industry for the last 20 years as Digital Artist and VFX Supervisor. This is my work http://www.martinlazaro.com
My problem was due to the fact that I couldn't use any other system to record my project except the XM-DVR Pro. This footage was extremely long, 800 hours recorded in a very harsh environment. And this system doesn't have any settings for different compression.
I hope I can finish my project and post it here for you guys.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:12:22 pm

The standard edition of Episode is $495. You may not need Pro.
http://dynamic.telestream.net/buy/buy-episode.asp
and there is an Episode forum right here on the COW.
http://forums.creativecow.net/telestream_episode

Return to posts index

Martin Lazaro
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:14:52 pm

Cool I'm going to try it.
I'll post the results

Return to posts index

Martin Lazaro
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:17:45 pm

What I saw and was trying to download was this
Episode Engine Pro $8,450

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]