FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i compression question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Mooney
1080i compression question
on Jun 30, 2009 at 2:24:34 pm

We has several video clips shot 1080i and I need to convert them to an mpeg format. We have a client that runs their own media server and these clips need to be posted. What are my best options out of FCP to convert these files? In the past we have provided them standard def file and they requested we export mpeg2, the same way we would export for a DVD burn.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 1080i compression question
on Jun 30, 2009 at 2:58:42 pm

Why not use Compressor?
There are better compression apps but Compressor comes with Final Cut.
Some might say BitVice

Return to posts index

Tom Mooney
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:14:51 pm

I can use compressor, in fact that would be preferable since I may need to patch up 30 files. What preset in compressor would you recommend using. This is the first time we got asked to deliver the content in HD so I not done this before.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:55:28 pm

They're going to have to give you a bit more info. MPEG2 can be Elementary stream with separate AC3 audio for DVDs, Program Stream, Transport Stream. This is HD so DVD doesn't fit this equation. If you need to encode for Blu-ray there is no preset for that in Compressor (there is for the defunct HD-DVD).

Basically your going to have to set Compressor to encode to Blu-ray and create an MPEG-2 Program Stream.

Here's one tutorial from Ken Stone's site
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/blu-ray_fcp_fields.html

Here's another from Adobe
http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2008/04/apples_compressor_encore_blura....

If they want a more efficient file size you could use Matrox CompressHD which does H.264 Blu-ray encoding, has presets, works inside of Compressor.

You really need to talk to them about what they need since HD for Blu-ray isn't quite the same as SD for DVD.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:14:05 pm

[Tom Mooney] "We have a client that runs their own media server"
Media or Video servers can be very specific as to what file types they can handle, you need exact details on the supported format(s).

Return to posts index

Tom Mooney
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:22:42 pm

More info: The system they run for video does not accept a .mov format, at least it had not in the past. Most of the files I have seen on the system were MPEG2 and that's what we always gave them. I did a test in Compressor with the preset HD MPEG-2 19.0 mbps. Just forwarded them the file and I will see if their system takes it. I re-imported it back into FCP and looks fine to me. Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Jul 3, 2009 at 3:53:39 am

Just to reiterate what the guys have already said, it is very important to find out what exactly they need. If they don't know, maybe you can get a specific name and model number for the gear they're using.

Some broadcast based media servers like a GXF format and Digital Cinema servers use MXF formats. Some media servers can transcode on import and others need a specific format.

Sorry to be so vague but these kinds of applications require precise communication and understanding.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]