FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to do with my HD project?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Benassi
What to do with my HD project?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:32:28 am

I just finished editing a short film of mine that was shot on HD video. Being that its my first film I want to show it around, but also being that I shot it on HD video I feel that people should see it in all its HD glory. But a standard DVD doesn't support HD quality and I don't think my computer can burn Blu-Ray (IMAC 2005) and most people I know don't have Blue-Ray players anyway. I'm wondering if there is another way to show my HD glory to my friends without having to invite them over to watch it on my computer.. Can I at least get a higher quality burn on a standard DVD than I would with regular DV footage?
Also, I do plan on sending it to a festival, so any ideas on the best way to get an HD version to them?

Sorry if this sounds a bit amateurish, this is my first time actually finishing a project! Thanks

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What to do with my HD project?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 7:02:03 am

The age old (well recent age) dilemma of how to distribute HD.
Every method has pluses and minuses
Vimeo is a reasonable choice.
It can play 720p24, 25, 30
Encodes to H.264 at about 1500kbps or so.

Make sure you see "HD is on" on the right of the video.
Click the full screen button. The 4 point thing on the right of the player bar.
When it goes full screen look on the right and turn HD scaling OFF. That'll display it in actual 720p otherwise it may get scaled to your monitor size (too big in some cases).
I have a computer graphics card with 2 DVI outputs. I connect the 2nd output to my 46" HDTV with a DVI to HDMI cable. I drag my browser over to it and then play the Vimeo video.

Advantage is sending the link to your friends. Disadvantage they have to watch on their computer monitor unless they know how to send it to an HDTV.

In Vimeo you can also allow the viewer to download the original file you uploaded, which is pre their compression. Users can view this file on their desktop. For example, I upload 720p30 at 5000kbps in H.264 .mov. Viewer can download, open in Quicktime, send to HDTV as above.

BTW it's also possible to do this with YouTube which also plays 720p but doesn't allow download.

ExposureRoom is another good distribution point. It can be used similarly to Vimeo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]