FORUMS: list search recent posts

can i pause compressor 3.0.5?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
angela anderson
can i pause compressor 3.0.5?
on Jun 23, 2009 at 2:48:20 pm

before i lose hours of compressing, what happens when i hit "pause" in the batch monitor window? i had no idea that this job would take so long, but i don´t really want to lose what´s been encoded so far. but i also need to use Logic soon, and thus would like to pause the job until tonight. any feedback is appreciated.

compressor 3.0.5
macbook 2ghz, 2gb 667 mhz sdram
osx 10.5.6
exporting out of fcp 6.0.5 - you will flip out when i tell you what i´m exporting - i needed to combine several shorts into one film program for a screening. they were mostly delivered dvd format, with one prores quicktime thrown in. i demuxed the dvds and threw them (metaphorically) into a 16:9 sq pixel prores sequence (this worked, to my total surprise) - there are 4:3 and 16:9 formats - then i brought in a couple psd text elements and some dissolves (for intros) and exported the entire mess through compressor (yes, i´m trying to save time and disk space...) first exported as mpeg4, which looked very pixelated. i did a test with a couple of quicktime h264 options and settled on h.264 for lan/internet with 100% width and height. is this completely crazy? the test looked acceptable - it´s for a smallish screening, nothing too fancy. just don´t have the time to create quicktimes out of the m2v´s and since i was able to bring it into fcp i thought what the hell. but now i´m creating a big .mov out of it. if anyone has any suggestions for a quicker yet still acceptable qualiity for export, i would really appreciate it! i.e. can i export it to a muxed mpeg 2 and retain the quality it has before export? (i.e. not compressing an already compressed m2v again...)

thanks a lot for any advice!

Return to posts index

angela anderson
the answer is no, but i could still use some encoding tips...
on Jun 23, 2009 at 9:28:11 pm

was too scared to click the pause button, when i did i realized it told me that i would lose my render time. in reality i knew this, but i didn't know i'd be told before i willingly scrap everything...

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: can i pause compressor 3.0.5?
on Jun 25, 2009 at 9:59:25 am

You want to choose a 4:3 preset (or one that doesn't state 16:9) and change the type from Elementary stream to Program stream. SML Med or Large will all come out smaller than the one you have. What you choose will depend on the picture quality you are happy with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]