FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressed h264 timeline scrubbing in quicktime = bouncing ball/delay

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ericsson Chu
compressed h264 timeline scrubbing in quicktime = bouncing ball/delay
on Jun 20, 2009 at 9:59:40 pm

Hello, I just encoded a h264 mp4 file using episode pro. I was compressing down from a hdv master. The resulting file was 2 hours about 1 gig, the problem is when I try to scrub the timeline in any media player it takes a bunch of seconds before the video is able to play. Am I doing something wrong? This is really my first time using episode, and I am exporting another version out right now using compressor to see if that makes difference (because I've never experienced this problem there, albeit I don't usually work on 2hour things or hdv). oh and I'm trying to view the video on a santa rosa macbook pro 2.4 with 4 gb ram off a raid0 fw800 external.

thanks in advance for any advice,

my settings were:
Bitrate Control: VBR using VBV, Average rate: 1600, Peak rate: 2160, VBR Quality: 50, Encoding speed vs quality: 90, VBV buffer size: 5.0, Number of reference frames: 5, Interlace Encoding: 0, Number of slices: Automatic (One per CPU), Use Loop Filter, Keyframe distance: 10, Use 2-pass encoding, 2-pass interval: 75, period_type: Natural Keyframes Only, profile: Main, Entropy Type: CAVLC, Display Aspect Ratio: Same as Source, Number of B-frames: 1, Colour space: 4:2:0, Frame size: 10, Initial buffer fullness: 50

frame rate:
Frame Rate: 29.97, Type: Fast, Fraction: 1/2, Framerate Type: Upper limit, First interlaced pair: Frame 2 and 3

deinterlace:
Field Order: Automatic Detection, Creating new Fields by: Edge Detecting Interpolation, Deinterlace Type: Deinterlace Interlaced Frames (Automatic), Threshold: 6, Deinterlace Chroma: 1, Double Frame Rate: 0

resize:
Width: 640, Height: 480, Top: 0, Bottom: 0, Left: 0, Right: 0, Display Ratio Compensation: Derive From Source, Aspect Mode: Letterbox (Pad), Interlace Handling: Progressive Output, Interpolation Mode: Automatic, Preprocessing: Nothing

Return to posts index

Ericsson Chu
Re: compressed h264 timeline scrubbing in quicktime = bouncing ball/delay
on Jun 20, 2009 at 10:18:24 pm

oops and here is the other info:

Include the following information
Computer - Macbook pro santa rosa 2.4 4gb ram
Operating system MAC OS X 10.5.7
Software Episode Pro 5.0.1 (20298_20080707)
Source codec Apple HDV 1080i60
Destination codec h264 720x480 letterbox
Type of destination use computer viewing

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 20, 2009 at 11:07:43 pm

Exactly what frame size do you want for output bearing in mind you have 16:9 source and so far you have chosen two possibly 4:3 frame sizes as output?

Return to posts index

Ericsson Chu
on Jun 20, 2009 at 11:21:50 pm

hi, 720x406

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 21, 2009 at 10:31:19 am

[Ericsson Chu] "when I try to scrub the timeline in any media player it takes a bunch of seconds before the video is able to play"

I assume you've tried Quicktime player?

Is this clip only going to be viewed on a computer?

If so you want to encode to square pixels (don't derive from source) and to an exact 16:9 frame size (like 640x360) without letterboxing

Set keyframes to every 300 frames as well as automatic/natural

Turn of the frame rate controls all together

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]