FORUMS: list search recent posts

generations

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maurice jansen
generations
on Jun 18, 2009 at 8:33:23 pm

hi there all

as ProRes is lossy how does it react in project with a large amount of generation's.
i guess the number of generation's in our faciltiy is not an issue but let me sketchup the needs for
a specific client. they deliver a program no title's audio m&e and some part's of the program without the packshot but with a background. we make the unilateral version without title's but with the packshot inserted. the next generation will be with general title's. after that there wil be a copy with a extra title concerning this week special offers. are this to many generation's of prores or am i seeing ghosts.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: generations
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:14:13 pm

ProRes is "visually lossless," it's not truly lossless. It's a very "intelligent" form of compression.
You might have to test it compared to 8 bit or even 10 bit Uncompressed but those are going to be huge files, which why ProRes is a viable alternative.

You should test your workflow just to be sure but it should hold up well.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: generations
on Jun 20, 2009 at 3:17:13 am

My guess is that any area of picture that is not changed by the added video layer will remain nearly identical when recompressed. This was pretty true of the old Avid AVR 77...as long as you didn't change the pixels, it recompressed a nearly identical copy.

I think you are fine with ProRes.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]