FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating PAL DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Whittington
Creating PAL DVD
on Jun 14, 2009 at 7:46:26 pm

Hello,

I am supposed to create a PAL DVD using a bunch of NTSC quicktime movies.

It seems I have to convert each quicktime to PAL first. Can this be done correctly using compressor or after effects? Once that is done, then I can use DVDSP to create a PAL DVD yes?

Any help on the steps necessary to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

James Whittington
Re: Creating PAL DVD
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:35:07 pm

Here's what I am trying using compressor....

Format: DV-PAL
Width: 720
Height: 576
PAR: PAL CCIR 601 (16:9)
Frame Rate: 25

If I use these settings on all my QTs and then create a DVD in studio pro using the PAL settings, then I should have a functional PAL DVD in theory. Right?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:18:41 am

You could convert all the NTSC movies first, or convert them on final output to MPG2. I'd limit the number of passes you make doing any sort of compression/re-sizing to the least number possible.

I'm not sure compressor is going to do the best job at resizing, but others on the list might be better able to answer that.

Also...depending on your source material, converting from NTSC to PAL could introduce some motion artifacting since you're resizing and changing the frame-rate. If the source is really high-quality and doesn't have a lot of camera motion, it might look very good. If it's marginal quality and there is a lot of camera movement or even movement within the frame, it could end up looking kinda iffy.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:49:24 am

We have had good luck using Nattress Standards Converter right in FCP. It is a unique workflow so follow the steps closely but you will have good results. Export the PAL clips and encode in compressor...compressor will see that theya re PAL and encode accordingly. AC3 encoding does not change.

Then author in DVDSP as a PAL disc.

Voila.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:03:03 am

[Rich Rubasch] "Nattress Standards Converter"

Agreed, that's the way to go if you can't afford the use of a professional standards converter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]