FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to AVI - Unsure about codec

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Detjen
Export to AVI - Unsure about codec
on Jun 11, 2009 at 7:14:27 pm

I need advice on how to encode AVI video files. We have an HD timeline in FCP (6-min corp. video), and the client wants to have small versions to distribute via USB drives and via their Website. In addition to AVI they want QuickTime and WMV. I have a good understanding of how to transcode our HD master down to those formats, but I am not certain what is best for AVI files.

I see in QuickTime Pro I can export to an AVI, but the codecs don't seem to be too universal for a typical viewer who may not have installed DVCPro, DVCpro50. And an uncompressed AVI would be far too large.

* Computer - Mac Intel dual core
* OS OSX 10.4.11
* Applications: FCP 5, Compressor, QT Pro
* Source Codec: QuickTime DVCPRO HD
* Destination format: AVI (unsure about what codec to use)
* Web use (embedded in website), USB distribution(for play back on computers)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Export to AVI - Unsure about codec
on Jun 11, 2009 at 11:10:36 pm

Get MPEG Streamclip and export the AVI from there. You'll find a lot more codecs and one I use is PhotoJPEG at 75%. As long as they have QT loaded on their pcs the AVI can be read.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Export to AVI - Unsure about codec
on Jun 12, 2009 at 9:23:28 am

9 times out of 10 when a Windows user asks for an AVI what they actually want is a DivX encoded file - Divx is like MPEG-4 (not H.264). This is easily done on the Mac but you'll need to download DivX:

http://www.divx.com/en/products/software/mac/divx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]