I need advice on how to encode AVI video files. We have an HD timeline in FCP (6-min corp. video), and the client wants to have small versions to distribute via USB drives and via their Website. In addition to AVI they want QuickTime and WMV. I have a good understanding of how to transcode our HD master down to those formats, but I am not certain what is best for AVI files.
I see in QuickTime Pro I can export to an AVI, but the codecs don't seem to be too universal for a typical viewer who may not have installed DVCPro, DVCpro50. And an uncompressed AVI would be far too large.
* Computer - Mac Intel dual core
* OS OSX 10.4.11
* Applications: FCP 5, Compressor, QT Pro
* Source Codec: QuickTime DVCPRO HD
* Destination format: AVI (unsure about what codec to use)
* Web use (embedded in website), USB distribution(for play back on computers)