FORUMS: list search recent posts

best compression for web streaming/download

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Lilling
best compression for web streaming/download
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:08:50 pm

I'm trying to compress a video to be put up on a website page. Wondering if the best option would be to export using Compressor's "Web streaming" or "Web Downloading". The problem I was having before was I exported it as a Quicktime mov which came out to a 250MB file size which was too big to download to my site. I need it to be in 5-10MB range.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
Re: best compression for web streaming/download
on Jun 9, 2009 at 11:01:41 am

Working with a specific file size is easy. If you need your file to be 10 MB then you have to find your balance between frame size, bit rate, length and quality. This is easy enough but you have to understand these relationships to hit a target file size.

How long is your movie?
What frame size are your creating your movie at?
Where can you comprimise - Bit rate, frame size, or length?
What kind of quality are you going for.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 9, 2009 at 11:00:46 am

Generally you'd choose Web downloading. UNless of course you are planning to use a Quicktime streaming server, which is unlikely?

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Jun 10, 2009 at 6:35:56 pm

Brian hit the nail on the head with this one.

I use Compressor to encode most of videos that I post for client preview. A trick that I use if I'm pressed for time and need a quick and simple solution is found in QuickTime Pro.

Command+Option+S

This will compress for email. I doesn't give you any control other than Small, Medium, or Large. As you switch you'll see the changes QT makes in frame size, framerate, audio sampling rate, etc. Be aware of your needs and the adjustments that QT makes to get the estimated file size.

After you make the selection QT will compress and add it to an attachment in Mail. Drag this attached video the the desktop or other folder.

Not sure if this would be useful to you though. Good for quick client previews, but I doubt I'd use it for a vid that's going to remain on a site.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]