FORUMS: list search recent posts

Posting video for the developing world

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Schaller
Posting video for the developing world
on Jun 8, 2009 at 2:19:36 pm

I have an 8 minute video that I made for a very international organization, and they need to post it on their site. The question I have is, what bit rate/etc should it have so that it can be watched as widely as possible?

I posted a version that is about 500kbps, but while people in Geneva and Canada can watch it, people in Benin and Cuba cannot. It needs to be Flash, and the only compression tool I have is the Flash 8 video encoder. I could just guess, but I can't post it directly, so it's better if I can get it right initially (actually, the second time!).

The idea is to post two versions: one of higher quality for those with fast internet connections, and one that is at least watchable for people without fast connections.

The video is 16:9, 24fps, originally DVCProHD 720p.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Posting video for the developing world
on Jun 9, 2009 at 11:15:17 am

We'd also be guessing as bandwidth varies a huge amount even in the 'developing world' (I would not consider Cuba as developing, maybe remote parts of Africa and Asia).

There's no reason why a 500kb/s video cannot be viewed whatever the connection speed, only that they'd have to wait longer for the video to buffer (or download).

That said, try halving your datarate and as such your frame size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]