FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression with Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 MAC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnno Van
Compression with Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 MAC
on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:27:46 pm

I am currently running some compressions on Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 on a MAC PRO intel Desktop with 8 cores and 4 gigs ram..with a 512mb video card.

THe source files are "As is" quicktime movies out of FCP to an internal media drive and then using the 384kb stream Real Media out of squeeze saved to the desktop

The original files are 30mins long and compressions are taking about 1 and 1/2 hours each. Given this machine this seems really really excessive.
Shouldn't it be faster? I tried saving the original file and compression to the same drive but that was worse. ANy help? Thanks.

Johnno

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression with Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 MAC
on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:37:46 pm

If memory serves me, Real stopped development on Mac compatibility around OS 10.3.9 and never developed a "universal" (Intel) version of the exporter. Just a hunch but it may be that Sorenson is using some form of emulation or Rosetta to do the encode. I'm pretty sure Telestream Episode does the same thing. In other words Real can't take advantage of advances in recent Mac OSs or Intel processors and Sorenson was left with a juryrig to get it to work at all. Of course maybe someone still doing regular Real encodes on current Macs with Squeeze might jump in and provide more details.

I can't seem to find Real as an option in the Audience Presets on my Intel Mac version of Squeeze 5.1 although it does mention it in the manual.

As an aside, I'm honestly surprised someone is asking for Real encodes.

Return to posts index

Johnno Van
on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:43:49 pm

Thanks for the response, and yes I agree. I work at a University, though and this is still their supported format for sharing media on an intranet environment.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:10:12 pm

I'll bet they're using a Helix server. If so, they should be able to use Windows Media.

Do you have PPC Mac with Squeeze on it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]