FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze and wmv

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Cole
Sorenson Squeeze and wmv
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:46:12 pm

I am having a difficult time outputting a 720x486 QT files to wmv on Sorenson Squeeze 5.1. I get about 10% into the compression when Squeeze crashes. I can output H264 and mpeg files with no issues. Anyone else have this problem and work around. Seems like a bug to me and have contacted Squeeze but have not gotten a response.

As a side note, I find it remarkable that Compressor and Adobe Encoder do not include wmv as a standard file format to compress to. I know, I know, I can spend $179 and get the Flip for Mac plug-in, but I have already spent $$ on Sorenson and Compressor and Encoder!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sorenson Squeeze and wmv
on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:37:19 pm

[Jeremy Cole] "As a side note, I find it remarkable that Compressor and Adobe Encoder do not include wmv as a standard file format to compress to. I know, I know, I can spend $179 and get the Flip for Mac plug-in, but I have already spent $$ on Sorenson and Compressor and Encoder!"

There may be Microsoft license and SDK issues involved. There's also the R&D and ROI for Apple and Adobe doing such work. WMV is a proprietary codec. In short I don't find it remarkable at all that neither Apple nor Adobe have incentive to provide WMV support.

Keep in mind Microsoft Silverlight 3 will support H.264 and will be extension agnostic so I'd expect H.264 F4V, MP4, MOV support.

BTW without telling us what that codec that QT file is or what settings you're using in Squeeze you're likely just going to get guesses rather than concrete answers. See the PLEASE READ at the top of the forum. You might have had an answer by now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:49:33 pm

Answer to your questions:
Apple Animation (Little Endian).

I have tried a number of data rates for wmv, VC-1, in Sorenson with the same result.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:06:41 pm

I'm playing a hunch here but try exporting your Quicktime as 8 Bit Uncompressed instead of Animation before using in Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:38:00 pm

Well tried 8 bit uncompressed and it too crashed Sorenson, almost immediately.

I have yet to hear from Sorenson today. Usually, they get back to me in the morning if I leave a message in the evening. They must be busy!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:19:53 pm

Just tested an 8 bit Uncompressed file on Squeeze 5.1 (Intel Mac) to both WMV9 (Flip4Mac) and VC-1 and both encoded without issue.

Try using an entirely different source. Use Windows Media presets only. I'm trying to eliminate some variables and a possible issue specific to the source.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:50:11 pm

Tried using a different move source. Encoded fine.

Then went into the console messages and saw the following error messages:
6/4/09 5:43:42 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.sorenson.Squeeze[259] Thu Jun 4 17:43:42 compressions-mac-pro.local Squeeze[259] : CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context

Then went and reloaded QT 7.5.5. Tried to encode the mov again that crashed Sorenson. It crashed again with the following console error message:
6/4/09 5:43:45 PM [0x0-0x16016].com.sorenson.Squeeze[259] WrongContentLength

Any idea what this means?.

Does look like there is a source QT problem.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:38:36 pm

Open up the file(s) that are failing in Quicktime. Look at Window/Show Movie Properties and see if the Video and Audio show the same length.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 4, 2009 at 10:09:06 pm

The same.

Just reloaded Sorenson with no files loaded and noticed that as it loaded the following errors in the Console:

6/4/09 6:04:35 PM [0x0-0x1e01e].com.sorenson.Squeeze[342] Thu Jun 4 18:04:35 compressions-mac-pro.local Squeeze[342] : CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 5, 2009 at 11:51:32 pm

Just got the following note from Jeff Udall, Technical Support for
Sorenson Squeeze:

"Unfortunately the WMV presets in Squeeze using the WMA audio codec have a bug which will crash Squeeze on some computers. We are working on a fix but are unsure of when it will be available.

You can use the Flip4 Mac WMV Studio Pro HD plug-in in Squeeze as well for WMV export. You can purchase Flip4 Mac WMV Studio Pro HD here: http://dynamic.telestream.net/buy/buy-flip4mac-wmv.asp

You do not need Flip4Mac if you install Squeeze on a PC. You can use the same serial key used when installing Squeeze on your Mac.

You can get the PC version of the Squeeze installer here:
http://www.sorensonmedia.com/downloads/

Let us know if you have any further questions"

Return to posts index

joel matthew
on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:25:35 pm

How do you get Flip4Mac into Squeeze? I have purchased it for $49, but it doesn't show up in Squeeze. Do I import it or something? Thanks for help.
I'm also having trouble with Flip4Mac exporting files from FCP that are out of sync. When I export QT movies, no problem.

FCP 6.0.5
Squeeze 4.0
Macbook pro 2.4 ghz 10.7 system

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:31:59 pm

Look in Squeeze Preferences and there should be an activation button.

Squeeze 4 is VERY OLD. At the time they included the Flip4Mac installer and you could buy/activate through them. Squeeze no longer includes Flip4Mac but if you have Squeeze 4 the activation button should be in preferences.

How are you viewing the WMV from FCP?
You really need to check with WMP9Mac or WMP11 on Windows.
Don't check sync in Flip4Mac/Quicktime as it may look like it's out of sync even if it isn't.

Return to posts index

joel matthew
on Jun 26, 2009 at 2:21:08 pm

Yeah, I'd like to get the newest Squeeze.... but I've been avoiding that, hoping that it would all come inside FCP. Do you think I can do everything from within Final Cut? I've been using Squeeze mainly to convert my QT movies to Flash (.flv) files. I would hate to spend $500 if there's a way within FCP.
Using Flip4Mac, I've created a setting in Compressor to make .wmv files. And yes, when I watch it in WMP9, it's in sync, so thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2009 at 2:56:04 pm

[joel matthew] "Do you think I can do everything from within Final Cut?"
It all depends on what "everything" is . . . and how fast you need "everything."

Compressor, Squeeze, Episode all do H.264. Both Squeeze and Episode do it better, Squeeze uses Main Concept. Episode uses Dicas. Both encode H.264 much faster too.

If you need VP6 Flash you have to buy the plugin for Compressor. Actually you had to for Squeeze and Episode too until they decided to include it and add the price. VP6 licensing results in the cost.

For WMV, Compressor requires Flip4Mac purchase.Episode and Squeeze do WMV and do it faster.

Episode also comes with a plugin for Compressor so you can use its setting in Compressor if you'd like.

With Compressor, once you've paid for WMV and VP6 you've come very close to the cost of Episode or Squeeze.

[joel matthew] "Using Flip4Mac, I've created a setting in Compressor to make .wmv files. And yes, when I watch it in WMP9, it's in sync, so thanks. "
Yes there's been a bug with Flip4Mac player and sync. Make sure you've updated to 2.2.3.7. They're still tweaking the sync issue but I do think they'll fix it soon. I do think the whole player world may start to change with HTML 5 though but that'll take time.

Return to posts index

joel matthew
on Jun 26, 2009 at 4:47:39 pm

Thank you for the clear analysis, Craig. That's really helpful. I'm not a compression expert, just trying to make my way through this forest and sometimes the path is unclear....

I guess I got the basic Flip4Mac at $49. And for $99 I can get VP6. But the new Squeeze pro is $599 (I don't know if I can upgrade anymore). So I"ll probably start with VP6 as a plugin. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]