FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrong aspect ratio

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Benassi
Wrong aspect ratio
on May 30, 2009 at 10:55:32 pm

Hi, trying to compress my movie for use on You Tube but keep getting the wrong aspect ratio. It is 16x9 in Final Cut when I preview it, but is vertically compressed into a 4x3 image when I preview it in Compressor. Why is that? DVC Pro HD 720p. Using Compressor 3.0.5. In Inspector window, Encoded bounds reads 960x720, but Display bounds reads 1280x720. I've compressed this same exact project before with no problem, I don't know what setting is changed. Help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Wrong aspect ratio
on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:48:56 am

Make sure that all along your workflow you have the 16:9 box checked. We encode 16:9 images for You Tube at 640 x 360 and scale to that size in the encode. It is the native size that YouTube uses for their final encodes.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
Re: Wrong aspect ratio
on Jun 1, 2009 at 6:35:16 am

[David Benassi] "It is 16x9 in Final Cut when I preview it, but is vertically compressed into a 4x3 image when I preview it in Compressor. Why is that? DVC Pro HD 720p"

Hi David. DVCPro HD subsamples 720P horizontal resolution from 1280 to 960 to minimize data rate. The actual resolution of the image is 960 x 720 with a PAR (pixel aspect ratio) of 1.33. Compressor lists this PAR as .75 but it still means that the DVCPro HD pixel is not square.

I suspect that the reason you're seeing a 4:3 frame instead of 16:9 is your "Correct for Pixel Aspect Ratio" option is not checked. You can find this in the pull down menu at the top of your Preview Pane.

[David Benassi] "I've compressed this same exact project before with no problem, I don't know what setting is changed."

No telling what has turned this option off. Hopefully this has helped solved your query.

btw, when you resize for you tube, you will want to make sure your pixels are square. Proving any PAR but square will give you less than desirable results.

--
Let us know when you have solved your issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]