FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Quicktime Output From HD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Best Quicktime Output From HD
on May 28, 2009 at 4:38:17 pm

Hello, I have a 20 min HD Uncompressed 10bit project that a film festival wants me to put on a DVD as a quicktime movie (does not need to be playable in a DVD player). What type of codec would you recommend for highest quality that would let it fit on a regular (4.7 GB?) DVD? And should I use compressor or change the setting in the project and output a quicktime movie with current settings?
Thank you!

OScar

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best Quicktime Output From HD
on May 28, 2009 at 5:15:06 pm

What codecs can they play?
Quicktime MOV is a wrapper.

You could use Apple Pro Res but it won't do you or them any good if they don't have the ability to play it.
You could use a high quality H.264 encode but you have no idea if the system will be able to handle the decode without dropping frames.

Basically you need to ask them, not us, the question.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:01:57 am

I agree with Craig that this question needs to go the the Project Manager or Video Engineer that will be running the event. Asking for a QuickTime Movie is like asking for a sandwich. Asking for specifics will go a long way.

This really depends on the playback device they are using. If they are using Digital Cinema Servers based on the DCI specs then you'll be wanting to encode your .MOV with JPG2000 but this is a very specific workflow. You're 20 minute movie will not fit on a 4.7 Gig DVD.

Here are 2 examples of file size for your 20 minute movie:
ProRes - 22.05 GB
ProRes HQ - 33 GB
H.264 @ 8Mbps - 1.2 GB

I regularly use Macs as playback devices at conferences and film festivals. I have my clients encode their video with h.264 limiting their 1920 x 1080 movies @ 30fps at 8Mbps. When there workflow is done correctly the h.264 looks exactly the same as their uncompressed and ProRes video.

Let us know what equipment they'll be using if you need any help deciphering encoding specs.

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Jun 2, 2009 at 4:36:03 pm

Quicktime=sandwich, I get it now. Most helpful. H.264 @ 8Mbps seems the way to go. Many thanks!

--Oscar

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 2, 2009 at 4:50:42 pm

Yes, and then you can tweak from there. If it plays but they get dropped frames you can go to a lower data rate for example.

Everybody has a different mustard preference in that sandwich.

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:50:48 pm

I seem to have some success with the H.264 but I do notice a bit of a problem with the smoothness during the photo zooms("Ken Burns effect etc" in my documentary. In other words, I have several very smooth pans and zooms across still images that when compressed become slightly jerky--almost like a step frame slow motion. The live action video seems fine. I tried to export using FILE>EXPORT USING QUICKTIME COMPRESSION - and then I set the settings for H.264 with restricting the data rate to 6000 kbits/sec. It still doesn't play that great on my first gen Quad 2.66 MacPro but I will be giving it to others for projection with better systems. I think the "step-printing" effect is built into the file, however, because when I shrink the movie size, it plays the live action video fine but has jerky movements on the stills. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]