FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for Craig

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Smith
Question for Craig
on May 28, 2009 at 1:23:56 pm

Hi Craig,
I asked this question in the FCP forum and someone suggested asking you.

I'm trying to find an AFD (active format description) plugin for FCP. I've found external hardware that can do it, but have been unable to locate any plugins. Do you know if there are any plugins for FCP?

If you're not aware of any, do you have any suggestions for the easiest way to embed this info, going from FCP to HDCam using a Kona 3 card? Using either hardware or software.
Thanks
Stuart

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Question for Craig
on May 28, 2009 at 4:03:33 pm

[Stuart Smith] "AFD (active format description) plugin for FCP"

Can you please describe what you what to see/do in detail?
I may have seen such a plugin but I can't remember where.

One of the things i despise most about the "plugin world" is that there's no easy to way to find a specific one. Often times companies use similar names to describe plugins which are quite different.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 28, 2009 at 4:12:55 pm

Perhaps this. Noiseindustries Frame Info Plugin.

http://www.noiseindustries.com/downloads/misc/FxFactoryHelp/pluginguide/vid...

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on May 28, 2009 at 4:32:45 pm

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. What's happening is this.

When we send an HDCam to local stations, they automatically center cut our spots for their SD broadcast. Most stations have an outboard piece of gear that does this. Most of this hardware can detect AFD (active format description) information that can be embedded on an HD tape - I've been told on lines 1000 and 1001, but that seems awfully low to me. What this does is automatically switch between center cutting or letterboxing depending on the info embedded. Without it, most stations default to center cut.

I've found hardware to do this, but I'd rather have a plugin, if possible, rather than having to purchase more rack mountable equipment. Evertz and AJA both make outboard boxes eg http://www.evertz.com/products/7760AVM2

http://www.aja.com/products/fs1/fs1.php

Thanks again
Stuart

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2009 at 4:12:58 pm

I haven't seen that done in software.

In my testing of HD delivery with DGFastchannel Chicago (DG national office doesn't do HD yet) they ask you to include whether the spot can be center cut or not in the email purchase order.

I'll poke around and see if anybody is doing this is software yet.

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on May 29, 2009 at 4:29:01 pm

Craig, thanks, seriously. That actually solves our problem, we're going to get in touch with our DG account manager and start sending spots through the Chicago office, I wasn't aware DG was capable of adding this info. I've done a lot of hunting the past few days for software and not come up with anything, if you happen to find something I'd love to hear about it. Right now the best solution I've found is hardware from Evertz that's running about $4.5k. Thanks again.
Stuart

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2009 at 4:43:14 pm

Right now DG Chicago seems to be the only region handling HD spot delivery. The protocol is to go through your own regional account manager and they'll set you up to test with the Chicago office.

Basically they're asking for a 50mbps H.264 encode which they then re-encode to MPEG2 Transport Stream. They ask for information by email when you upload the spot. In that list of information they ask for "Center Cut Safe Y/N." I suspect based on that answer they add the AFD during their re-encode to MPEG2 Transport Stream. They're using an Argus encoder.

When DG's national office goes HD, they'll be accepting MPEG2 Transport Streams directly so being able to embed AFD before hand would be good. In the meantime, DG Chicago apparently adds that for you during the encode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]