FORUMS: list search recent posts

Up-rezing / up-sizing dv to dv anamorphic (frame controls)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Pyatt
Up-rezing / up-sizing dv to dv anamorphic (frame controls)
on May 22, 2009 at 10:46:53 pm

Hi,

I have some DV footage that I would like to up-size or is it up-rez (?) to DV anamorphic.
The dv clips require 138% increase in FCP but I believe that better results can be achieved in Compressor.

I use a Matrox MXO to check my footage but it has a problem displaying DV anamorphic footage so its hard for me to check the various settings in Compressor that give the best results.

I would like some advice on the Frame Controls settings in Compressor. Particularly the level of anti-aliasing and details level. I have used frame controls to produce decent results converting HDV to DV but this is the first time i have used Compressor to convert DV to DV anamorphic.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Up-rezing / up-sizing dv to dv anamorphic (frame controls)
on May 22, 2009 at 11:48:33 pm

[Brendan Pyatt] "I have some DV footage that I would like to up-size or is it up-rez (?) to DV anamorphic. "

That doesn't make any sense. DV is DV. 720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL - you can't get it any bigger than that.

Are you saying you have some 4:3 content you want to make 16:9?

Or?

By the way - how did you get on with the last issue you had?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/862353

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 23, 2009 at 8:25:02 am

Sorry, I thought anamorphic meant 16:9.

I have some 4:3 DV footage that I want to expand to 16:9.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 23, 2009 at 11:09:34 am

Here's a great article on the subject:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/faking_it.html

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 23, 2009 at 3:38:11 pm

By the way Brendon, we are not just droids here to answer your questions.

I politely asked how you got on with another issue I helped you with recently and you seemed to have ignored me.

If you wish to continue to get help here can I suggest that you might like to raise the level of communication with people on this forum?

Your feedback might help others and saying thanks is free of charge.

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 23, 2009 at 3:46:51 pm

Sorry! I have updated the previous thread - I really value yours, and others, help!!

That article on the Ken Stone site is most informative but for this project I would still like to try up-size the 4:3 footage to 16:9. Due to the success I have had down-sizing HDV to DV using compressor I am assuming that up-sizing using compressor would give better results than using the FCP timeline. My problem is that I have no decent way of checking this myself as my reference monitor setup (the MXO) does not display DV anamorphic clips well so I can't simply try different settings in Compressor and see how they are.

So if anyone has an experience using the anti-aliasing and details levels in Compressor with regard to up-sizing footage it would be great!

(Thanks again Daniel for your help and patience. I am sorry that I didn't take the time to say thanks...)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 23, 2009 at 4:28:52 pm

No worries.

The bottom line here is that if you scale 4:3 dv to fully fit into a 16:9 frame, you will loose a fair bit of the picture and it will look pretty crap and pixelated. Compressor will do a bit of a better job than FCP, but you will find FCP much easier to realize visually what the end result will look like. There are other applications like shake and AE, as well as plugins for FCP that can do a better job. I'm at the pub so I can't send you any links at the moment.

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on May 24, 2009 at 11:05:08 am

When you have time to post some links it would be great.

I realise that I can have good control over composition etc by using the FCP timeline but there are some shots that I want to get the best quality I can.

Ive had a search on the net but can't find any guidance on the anti-aliasing / details levels in Compressor - apart from the fact they are useful when up-sizing.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 26, 2009 at 4:24:23 pm

http://www.borisfx.com/final_cut_pro/bccfxplug/uprez.php

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/resizer/main.html

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/

Etc..

Return to posts index

Brendan Pyatt
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:35:18 am

Thanks Daniel!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]