FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCpro HD encode for SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Schmidt
DVCpro HD encode for SD DVD
on May 22, 2009 at 8:15:57 am

I'm having a lot of difficulty obtaining a clean encode for SD DVD from a FCP DVCpro HD 1080i timeline. Using FCP Studio 2, have tried Compressor and Sorenson Squeeze 5.1 and am authoring on Studio Pro.

Having a lot of trouble with fine high contrast lines and detail areas buzzing on camera moves, especially with tilts and diagonal pans.

The field order is "odd" which is where I'm guessing my problems stem from. I've tried all manner of variables but can't find a good solution.

So far my best results have been with deinterlacing but it's still not clean and the picture is a bit softer than should be.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: DVCpro HD encode for SD DVD
on May 22, 2009 at 11:35:21 am

Are you using frame controls to do the deinterlacing in compressor? What settings have you tried for resizing?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 22, 2009 at 3:14:58 pm

Squeeze has had an update that seems to have fixed deinterlacing:

http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/articles/35/1/Sorenson-Boosts-Squeez...

Return to posts index

Will Schmidt
on May 22, 2009 at 3:52:18 pm

Hello Daniel, thanks for the response.

I'm down converting using a Squeeze preset for large 16x9 with the frame size of 720x480 at 29.97 frame rate.

The editing time line corresponds to the DVCpro HD 1080 60i, odd field interlace specs of the footage and all looks great while editing and on QT conversions. It's now when I'm down converting and encoding for DVD that the problems arise. I understand you shouldn't have to deinterlace for DVD but the encodes look really bad when I don't.

I have the upgrade deinterlace for Squeeze and it helps a bit but doesn't get rid of the problem totally.

Will

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 22, 2009 at 4:13:45 pm

1080i should be deinterlaced during the transcode to SD.

Compressor is capable of *much* higher quality scaling and deinterlacing than Squeeze, when used correctly.

Return to posts index

Will Schmidt
on May 22, 2009 at 5:37:42 pm

If that's the case. What SD codec is it best to transcode to in preparation to encode for DVD? Previously I've tried uncompressed SD and DVCpro50.

I have tried numerous times to simply transcode with Compressor and when it works I've always had poor results. Often Compressor gets hung up and gives me stupidly long times to do the job. I'm on a Mac 2x3Ghz Quad Core so I wouldn't think transcodes should be taking 10s of hours.

I'm certainly happy to try Compressor again, I've looked at all the settings very carefully but must be missing something. What codec and settings do you think will do the job properly for me?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 26, 2009 at 4:07:06 pm

Give the encoding application the same clip as you are working on, there's no reason to introduce an intermediate codec into your workflow.

You might want to do a search here on how to fix freezing/hanging issues with compressor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]