FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best quality compression for DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Benassi
Best quality compression for DVD
on May 19, 2009 at 7:05:57 am

Using latest version of Apple Compressor. Trying to compress a 7 minute project from Final Cut for best quality on a DVD, type 5. Been using the pre-set "Best quality: 90mins", but wondering if there is a higher quality compression I can get for such a short project? Have most up to date versions of Final Cut, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro. Thanks!

Return to posts index

daniel Robertson
Re: Best quality compression for DVD
on May 19, 2009 at 10:09:44 am

using that same setting(in compresser) select the mpeg part of the two options and go the inspector box, click the second icon, it should change to menu that says video format, quality, GOP and extra. click the quality tab and slide the average bit rate bar all the way to the end.

then click the third icon in the inspector called frame controls turn these on and change the rate conversion to best.

that should boost it

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 19, 2009 at 11:51:33 am

What is your source format?

Where is the DVD likely to be viewed? Is it for general distribution or is there a very good chance that your clients will be viewing it on flat panel displays?

Return to posts index

David Benassi
on May 19, 2009 at 4:28:01 pm

Likely to be played on computer and TV screens alike. Not wide distribution, but I would like to know that it is generally playable. Is there a bit rate too high for play on standard dvd players?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 19, 2009 at 5:52:45 pm

I believe 9.8 Mbits/sec for both video/audio is the max, but older DVD players will likely have problems playing anything above about 8Mb/sec.

I know several authoring programs will complain and force you to re-encode in the authoring app if you exceed something like 8.5Mb/sec.

Here'a a wiki that helps explain it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 19, 2009 at 9:29:32 pm

It really helps if you could tell us your source format!

Return to posts index

David Benassi
on May 20, 2009 at 1:51:54 am

Source format? How i shot it? Standard def, anamorphic (shot on a Canon XL-2, 16x9 ratio). 30 fps.

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Jun 5, 2009 at 12:14:51 am

Yeah whew I feel your pain.

I too always have such problems with mpeg2 compression for a DVD. Problems being: pixels are pronounced, even when viewing at native size, color gets all wonky - saturation/contrast issues. I also am usually fitting under 10 minutes of video onto a DVD.

I just figured this is the way mpeg2/dvd compression is.

I generally export using compressor from a FCP comp made up mostly of uncompressed QT at 1920x1080.

Are we just screwed for now?

Return to posts index

Steve Brown
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:09:26 am

seems good. For Mac users, you can try DVD Copy Pro , it works well too.

Return to posts index

Brent Hilgenkamp
on Jun 14, 2009 at 11:04:59 pm

Daniel - do you change certain settings if you know that the content will be played on a flat screen TV? What would you change, and why?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]