FORUMS: list search recent posts

Testing 1,2,3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Nelson
Testing 1,2,3
on May 15, 2009 at 11:00:04 pm

OK, I am doing some testing on what video looks good using Compressor 2. I also downloaded Apple's bitrate calculator. My question is this: Will I have to go through all the bitrates, from small to large in order to find the one that works best? Or is there a more efficient method that my small brain has yet to grasp? Sorry, that's two questions. Thanks in advance, John

We're from the Government. We're here to help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Testing 1,2,3
on May 15, 2009 at 11:23:26 pm

Why not look at the Ultimate Flash Bit Rate Calculator at the top of this forum. "Flash 9" is H.264 so numbers should hold.

[John Nelson] "Will I have to go through all the bitrates, from small to large in order to find the one that works best?"

As Nigel Tufnel might say in "This is Spinal Tap," turn it up to 11 which is 'one louder' than 10.

Best for what? Which works better, hammers or oranges? Depends on whether you're dealing with nails or thirst.

There is no "best," just targeting and what path you take to hit that target.
After looking at the Bit Rate Calculator at the top of the forum also read the PLEASE READ post above it.

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on May 16, 2009 at 1:29:22 pm

Sorry Craig, Never watched the movie but I'll take that as a yes on the tests. I'm putting together my site so potential customers may view some of my works, contact me, hire me and pay me for my services, not unlike many others out here. So high quality audio/video at a size that doesn't strain the eyes is my objective. I feel the customers I'm trying to locate have high speed connections, high res viewing screens and, hopefully, high incomes with which to compensate my efforts. This may be too much to hope for, given my steep learning curve on all this. I was just interested in some 'ballpark' numbers for a jumping off point.

Thanks again,
John

Return to posts index

John Nelson
The Pertinent Poop...
on May 16, 2009 at 3:35:04 pm

Hope I've included the right stuff

• Include the following information
• Computer - Mac or Windows Mac G5 4 x 2.5 GHz Power PC (8GB SDRAM)
• Operating system including exact version number OSX 10.4.11
• Software used including version number Final Cut Studio:
FCP 5.1.4
Cinema Tools 3.1.2
Compressor 2.3
DVDSP 4.1.2
Motion 2.1.2
Live Type 2.1
STP 1.1
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop 7.01
Dreamweaver CS4 10.0.0.4117
• Source codec (file you put in) Compressor (also After Effects)
• Destination codec (file you want out) FLV ?, SWF ?, MOV ?,
• Type of destination use http://www.omproductions.net

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: The Pertinent Poop...
on May 16, 2009 at 4:38:13 pm

[John Nelson] "Compressor 2.3 "
Key because someone using Compressor 3.0.5 describe some things slightly differently although the principles are the same.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 16, 2009 at 4:35:57 pm

[John Nelson] "So high quality audio/video at a size that doesn't strain the eyes is my objective. I feel the customers I'm trying to locate have high speed connections, high res viewing screens and, hopefully, high incomes with which to compensate my efforts."

That's mission critical in deciding the settings to use.

[John Nelson] "not unlike many others out here."
"here" defines your bandwidth. Different areas have different providers (ISPs). In NYC typical DSL might be 3000-5000kbps, Cable 10,000-100,000kbps for consumers. Starter DSK might be 1500kbps and budget is 768kbps.

Knowing what's available in your area for those in a high income bracket defines your bit rate target. Just go to the web page of the providers of DSL and Cable service and look at the bit rate for mid range packages on up. Keep in mind that not everyone in the high income bracket will get the fastest packages. Younger targets might be more likely than older targets to have faster services.

There are other areas where 368kbps might be the top if it's rural and all they have is satellite. That's why target consists of both the demographic which you've done but the region. That'll go along way to describe the bandwidth. That is also modified by the content (talking heads can get by with lower bit rates than fast action or heavy motion FX.

Basically the important this is MARKETING comes first and that defines the TECHNOLOGY used (it can even define the codec). Viewing "in the office" might be WMV or On2VP6 (less frequent plug updates) whereas as "in the home" might be H.264.

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on May 16, 2009 at 9:15:35 pm

Great advice. Thanks. I'll start doing my research and report back.

John

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 15, 2009 at 11:08:35 pm

[John Nelson] "OK, I am doing some testing on what video looks good using Compressor 2. I also downloaded Apple's bitrate calculator. My question is this: Will I have to go through all the bitrates, from small to large in order to find the one that works best? Or is there a more efficient method that my small brain has yet to grasp? Sorry, that's two questions. Thanks in advance, Joh"

Depends on what you have and where you want to deliver to.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/862073

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]