MPEG2 704x... to AVI DV video resolution queston

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Nowak
MPEG2 704x... to AVI DV video resolution queston
on May 15, 2009 at 7:30:30 pm

Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
ProCoder 3 Version 03.00.50.00
Source: MPEG2 704x576 (hundreds of scenes from DVD camcorder discs captured with Sony Vegas)
Destination: AVI DV
For editing with Sony Vegas 8.0c

Is there a DV codec supporting 704x576 output, or can I somehow change the output resolution in CanopusDV preset?

Converting above mentioned files to 720x576 AVI DV results in black stripes added to both sides of the video. I can't have that in my project.

Can anyone help out? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MPEG2 704x... to AVI DV video resolution queston
on May 15, 2009 at 9:43:40 pm

Is your source 4:3 or 16:9, or either?

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 16, 2009 at 6:27:46 am

Source Parameters according to ProCoder
Video Frame Size: 704x576
Display Size: 720x576
MPEG Aspect ratio: 4 x 3 (default)

Target Parameters
Aspect ratio: 4 x 3

In Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 (revision 99) both video windows are the same size. The DV file seems to be a little bit narrow due to the black stripes.

In Sony Vegas the DV file is simply displayed as a wider one. The actual footage size (without the black stripes) is exactly the same size as in the other file.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 16, 2009 at 11:36:27 am

If Procoder is still the same as CarbonCoder, you need to set a filter on the source files called Video Source Properties and in that filter for a pixels aspect ratio change of 15:16.

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 17, 2009 at 3:30:00 pm

Could you please be more specific on how can i set this filter? I can't find video filter preset called Video Source Properties

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 17, 2009 at 6:07:12 pm

If it's not there then it's not going to help you. Should I assume you are working with PAL source?

If you don't want the black bars, you need to crop them out but this may result in a distorted picture, crop 8 from either side and 6 from top and bottom.

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 17, 2009 at 7:08:04 pm

Shouldn't it always be there?

The source is PAL

I'll try to use the Relative Crop Video filter, hope I'll understand how it works :)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 17, 2009 at 7:11:47 pm

It's obviously a carboncider specific filter. Sadly the relative crop filter is a nightmare to use, I can't use it.

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 17, 2009 at 7:36:11 pm

Cropping 8 from either side and 6 from top and bottom with Relative Crop got rid of the black stripes, and some video at the top and bottom. In a way the problem is solved.

In the process the video was changed from 704x576 to 720x576, so the main question remains unanswered – is there a way to change the default 720x576 output size while using a DV codec?

If not is there an other codec used for editing that allows full video size customization?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 17, 2009 at 8:02:59 pm

[Jan Nowak] "so the main question remains unanswered – is there a way to change the default 720x576 output size while using a DV codec? "

No. PAL DV is 720x576.

[Jan Nowak] "If not is there an other codec used for editing that allows full video size customization?"

Yes there are, what do you access to on your system and what are you actually trying to achieve?

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 17, 2009 at 8:36:40 pm

My Sony Vegas, crashes if I put to many mpeg2 files in to the project. Its somehow RAM related. I've noticed that after converting these files to DV, importing them to Vegas uses about ten times less RAM then mpeg2. For me it means ten times more clips in the project.

I've tried DV because I've read, that's the format people use for editing.

What I need, is to convert my mpeg files, so that Vegas doesn't crash, not loose the quality in the process, and keep the same video size, aspect ratio and so on.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 17, 2009 at 9:20:28 pm

You don't state where you plan to have these clips finally end up, but I'd stay with DV and not worry about the black bars. All you are seeing is 704 source in a 720 frame.

If you plan to have these end up back on DVD then you won't see the black bars, they'll be in the overscan area:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan#720_or_702_or_704.3F

If you plan to put these on the web or compress them down to a smaller size it's a good idea to crop into the picture anyhow.

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 18, 2009 at 7:56:03 am

Thanks for all the tips, you helped me a lot!

Return to posts index

Jan Nowak
on May 16, 2009 at 6:51:58 am

One more interesting thing.

Video Parameters according to Sony Vegas 9.0 (Build 563)

Format: MPEG-2
Attributes: 704x576
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,0909

Format: Canopus DV
Attributes: 720x576
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,0926 (PAL DV)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]