FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg2 stream for digital projection -

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Vilas
Mpeg2 stream for digital projection -
on May 14, 2009 at 7:30:29 pm

One of our short films was selected for a film festival which has switched to digital projection. they ask us to send the film on a USB stick or hard disk with the following specifications:

- the data rate should be between 80 mbits and 120 mbits
- the ideal format would be: Mpeg2, AC3-soundfiles, multiplexed / .mp2
- Formats that we do not play: E- cinema, JPEG2000 (digital movies from filmdistributors), Quicktime, no .m2a and .m2v
- In addition, the dimensions for the screen are
1080i = 1920 x 1080 interlaced, 720p = 1280 x 720 progressive (both are compatible for our screen).

At the moment, we have a Tiff sequence of the final film sitting on our raid system, 2048x1152 (2K). the final sound is a .wav file.

I am a bit puzzled on how I should do this? I have made a quicktime reference movie of the Tiff sequence and have imported this into Compressor.

I have applied the MPEG2 - Program Stream preset and then selected 720p / 25frames / 16:9 as video format.
Under the quality tab I notice that the maximum value for average/maximum bit rate is 40 Mbps. How can I make this between 80 and 120, as requested by the festival?

Also, I am not sure what to do with the sound and not sure how to get a multiplexed file. Can anyone help out? it'd be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Mpeg2 stream for digital projection -
on May 14, 2009 at 9:52:16 pm

[Stephen Vilas] "- the data rate should be between 80 mbits and 120 mbits
- the ideal format would be: Mpeg2, AC3-soundfiles, multiplexed / .mp2
- Formats that we do not play: E- cinema, JPEG2000 (digital movies from filmdistributors), Quicktime, no .m2a and .m2v
- In addition, the dimensions for the screen are
1080i = 1920 x 1080 interlaced, 720p = 1280 x 720 progressive (both are compatible for our screen). "

They may have got their datarate a *little* too high. The maximum datarate for 1920x1080 MPEG-2 is 80Mb/s

[Stephen Vilas] "Under the quality tab I notice that the maximum value for average/maximum bit rate is 40 Mbps. How can I make this between 80 and 120, as requested by the festival? "

BluRay HD titles that use MPEG-2 at 1920x1080 generally peak at 40Mb/s

I'd submit your encodes and ignore their datarates

Return to posts index

Stephen Vilas
on May 15, 2009 at 6:43:51 am

[Daniel Low]

They may have got their datarate a *little* too high. The maximum datarate for 1920x1080 MPEG-2 is 80Mb/s"

thanks, Daniel, for clearing this up. i already though this was a bit odd.

I now have an MPEG2 stream, 720p, of the TIFF sequence. The file has a .m2v extension. It stated in the festival's technical guidelines that this isnt a format they can play.
how can I combine the .m2v file with the AC3 sound file in order to get a multiplexed .mp2 file as requested?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 15, 2009 at 8:18:05 am

Mux them together with MPEGStreamclip or re-encode and set compressor to produce a program stream rather than an elementary stream

Return to posts index

Vinicio Musmanni
on Jun 11, 2009 at 3:33:42 pm

You can use Qube xpress to compress jpeg 2000 if use FCP, or Mpeg pro
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/jpeg2000-20322/informat...
we made our own compressor from sdk in jpeg200 site,but if U R not used to code writing better keepin the safe side.
buy one.
good luck.

Return to posts index

Sumit Ochaney
on Apr 5, 2016 at 5:41:29 pm

Hi
Daniel,

In order to create an mp2 file follow the following steps :

1) First Convert your file into . mpeg4 file extention using Mpeg Stream Clip. It a free software available .Then convert again using the MpegStream Clip, select > File > Demux> Convert to M2V( under the demux tab) and choose the quality as high.

2) For audio, again you can use Sound Track Pro to convert to .AC3 File extension.

Hope this partially solves the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]