FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from Final Cut with Compressor (for DVD)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Marcham
Exporting from Final Cut with Compressor (for DVD)
on May 14, 2009 at 3:24:02 pm

Hi,
I have a documentary project edited on Final Cut of around 80 minutes that I need to get onto DVD. So far I've never paid a lot of attention to this part of the process, I just used Export to Quicktime File and then iDVD to get shorter projects or rough cuts onto DVD to show people. However, now I'm trying to prepare for getting a final cut onto DVD in the best quality possible to be duplicated and sold.

We are using Final Cut Studio 2 so I have Compressor and DVD Studio Pro to use for this, but I'm struggling to find reliable advice on the best process. For example online I have found some suggestions that using "export to Compressor" from Final Cut is the best way to avoid losing quality, but I've also read suggestions that that's 'unreliable' and it's better to export a Quicktime file first.

So far I have simply exported a Quicktime file from Final Cut, then loaded this file into Compressor and used the "Best Quality for 90 minutes" DVD preset. This seems simple enough but is this the best way?
Also, how well should I expect the quality to hold up at this length? Would there be any benefit to splitting the film over two disks to avoid having to compress it so much?

The problem is that it's quite hard to learn this by experimentation as the various stages take a long time to process and then I have to get access to a good TV to compare the results properly, so it's easy to waste days without really learning much.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tom

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Exporting from Final Cut with Compressor (for DVD)
on May 14, 2009 at 4:32:29 pm

[Tom Marcham] "So far I have simply exported a Quicktime file from Final Cut, then loaded this file into Compressor and used the "Best Quality for 90 minutes" DVD preset."

You really can't go too wrong with this workflow. If you don't like the quality let us know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]